What anaesthetic does your vet use?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

It's easy to be angry and bitter when a beloved pet dies. This is a rescue forum however, and part of rescue is education. It is better to educate an owner and turn them into a good home, than to take the pet from them. We can't take in every animal.
And so it goes with vets. There are some vets out there that are hopeless. The vast majority, however, love animals and want to do whatever they can to improve their life. For these vets who are willing to learn, we must take steps to educate them, not discard them. The more a vet can learn, the safer and more effective they are.
With this in mind, I would like some information from you. What drugs and anaesthetics does your vet use? I want the specific name of the drug, and the dosage (ie mg/kg). With this information, I hope to make the world a little bit safer for ratties, and a little bit happier for us.

Isoflurane gas only. My rats wake up fast after surgery. Even for euthanasias my vet gases them down and then gently pinches their toes. There is an automatic reflex on their part unless they are unconscious.

I used another vet who used WAAAAY too much gas for 2 boys neuters and they were completely disoriented for hours and hours afterwards, I thought I was going to lose Wilbur...I never went back to that vet.

I thought it was an OD on metacam, but after talking to my good vet (she had been closed for her clinic move until then) discovered it was over-use of anesthetic. :(

I will call my local vets tomorrow and i will ask. Ive never had surgery done on any of my rats before - but with the risk of tumors etc. being so high in rats - i dont think i will get away with ever not having to have one go in to surgery. After reading the post about the CID, and the posibility of a mistake with anaesthetics, i think it is a really good idea to make people aware, and ask a few more questions than i think they normally would. Ill post back when i find out

Mine uses isofluorane, but I don't know the details about concentration. They probably vary it depending on need. The rats come back to consciousness very quickly.

With your vet who had problems with the usual gas, I wonder if her machine needs a checkup. You said she'd not achieved full anaesthesia when she turned the concentration to what she thought was maximum. I hope that she would consider calling the vet she consulted with about the spaying method. He would be able to help her troubleshoot.

and this
http://acs.ufl.edu/guidelines/Guideline ... lant.shtml

Anesthesia will be induced by placing the animal within an induction chamber and introducing 5.0% isoflurane gas. Anesthesia will be maintained by 1.0 – 3.0 % isoflurane delivered by nose cone. Toe pinch (withdrawal) reflex will be used to determine that an acceptable surgical plane of anesthesia has been achieved before beginning the surgical procedures.
Beginning approximately 5 minutes before the completion of these procedures, gas anesthesia will be turned down by 0.5% each minute.

Mine uses isofluorane gas only, but I don't know the details about concentration.
That is the only anaesthetic safe for rats.
(and for other pets, as far as I know ... had a long discussion with my vet a long time ago)

And like lilspaz68`s vet, my vet gives a post op injection of pain meds that is good for 24 hours.
I will ask for more info.

And like lilspaz68`s vet,
for euthanasias my vet gases them down and then gently pinches their toes. There is an automatic reflex on their part unless they are unconscious.
My vet also checks for a blink reflex. Then my vet administers the other euthanasia drug as suggested in the Rat Health Care book.

to do the best for the animal the pain meds should be given pre-op and not post op.

SQ said:
Mine uses isofluorane gas only, but I don't know the details about concentration.
That is the only anaesthetic safe for rats.
(and for other pets, as far as I know ... had a long discussion with my vet a long time ago)

And like lilspaz68`s vet, my vet gives a post op injection of pain meds that is good for 24 hours.
I will ask for more info.

And like lilspaz68`s vet,
for euthanasias my vet gases them down and then gently pinches their toes. There is an automatic reflex on their part unless they are unconscious.
My vet also checks for a blink reflex. Then my vet administers the other euthanasia drug as suggested in the Rat Health Care book.

Thanks theratlady ... I'll check on that ...
but it is likely that I am mistaken (going from memory as my vet is closed until tomorrow so didn't double check yet).
Pain meds are likely given during and after as I think lilspaz68 said her vet does.

well esp if you use metacam it does not work instantly so giving it beforehand a couple hours would greatly benefit the rat. however im sure some vets will give morphine(or some variant) just before and after surgery if needed. this will also affect how much gas is used and needed.

My vets only use isoflorine gas, but I don't know the concentration. The machines are typically on the "3" dial during surgeries.

A shelter vet in Toledo that spayed/neutered some rats for free for me that I took from their shelter used ketamine and iso and nearly half the rats died. Never again will I let an unknown vet do surgeries on any rats my rescue takes.

lilspaz68 said:
Which university is this from? The other one was Florida.

Godmother said:
With your vet who had problems with the usual gas, I wonder if her machine needs a checkup. You said she'd not achieved full anaesthesia when she turned the concentration to what she thought was maximum.
Good idea!

Godmother said:
I hope that she would consider calling the vet she consulted with about the spaying method. He would be able to help her troubleshoot.
She actually already had a phone call in to SQ's vet in NB before I even came in with Dora, to ask about Phoebe. He didn't get back to her before the end of the day on Friday, so she's going to try and call him next week.

Thanks for your help. If the vet only uses Isoflurane gas for anaesthesia, what do they use for pain control?
Every bit of information makes a difference.

Back