Wet breathing but clear lungs?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangishPinkishBlue

Okay weird question.
Abel gets REALLY excited over simple things like new pieces of fabric/new hammocks. And when she gets all excited, she starts breathing really quickly and makes the wet breathing noise. Thinking I had a sick rat on my hands, I did a lung check when she was calm... Nothing. No congestion, no hiccups no clicking or rasping.

So I was like 'wait what'
and I put her down and watched her go on about her business, no wet breathing.
But as soon as I pulled out a packet of Yogies? Instant snuffling.

Is this new rat sneezes coming full force? He had them on "yesterday news" in a rat manor with carefresh in their litter boxes, they were fed immaculate foods and homemade rat grains. So there's no reason for them to be sick??

Okay weird question.
Abel gets REALLY excited over simple things like new pieces of fabric/new hammocks. And when she gets all excited, she starts breathing really quickly and makes the wet breathing noise. Thinking I had a sick rat on my hands, I did a lung check when she was calm... Nothing. No congestion, no hiccups no clicking or rasping.

So I was like 'wait what'
and I put her down and watched her go on about her business, no wet breathing.
But as soon as I pulled out a packet of Yogies? Instant snuffling.

Is this new rat sneezes coming full force? He had them on "yesterday news" in a rat manor with carefresh in their litter boxes, they were fed immaculate foods and homemade rat grains. So there's no reason for them to be sick??

You should know by now that "there's no reason for them to be sick" means nothing to rats...just coming home can stress a rat enough that they develop a latent URI. Why not check the lungs while she's excited not calm, then see if you hear any roughness. It might be just nasal congestion but this is often a preliminary to a URI.

Back