Weird spaz attacks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lis16420

Well I don't know how to explain this, but it seems like whenever my 3 babies (they are about 4 or 5 months old now) smell another rat on my hand they don't recognize they have spaz attacks. They do cartwheels around the cage and when I go to pick them up they puff up and squeek (never bite) and when I hold one for a minute she seems to be fine, but then I put her back with the other two and she gets weird again! They also try to fight each other and then do more cartwheels. The first time they did it, i thought it was kinda funny but now it's sort of frustrating because I don't know whats wrong! They've only done it twice now. I also try to calm them with some really good smelling food (chips, it was the only thing close by, i don't ever feed them that any other time) they won't even take them!
I looked at the other boards, and I'm trying the down-the-shirt trick with one. Anyone know what my rats are doing?!?!

When I tried to introduce a new girl to my other 2, the one female (who is a bit 'off') picked a fight with her, and then fought with her current cagemate that she lived with for a couple months already. I think maybe they're being territorial, and they get in a frenzy not really thinking of who they're fighting.

popcorning. sounds exactly like my baby boys. if i rough house them a little, not necessarly rough house, but play with them with my hands... the jump around and do little cartwheels. if they both are popcorning right next to eachother one will flip the other on it's back... and either start heavly grooming, or just make the other stay there. it's quite funny. i will try to take a video to show their behavior.

...but it may not be the same thing if they're actually fighting. they're probably just showing/displaying who's dominant... but if they're fighting with loud shreak squeeks or if there's blood or scratches then it's time to seperate... but they just sound like they're being rambuncious babies. i think jo might have a video of one of her rats i remember... but she'll have to post the link if she sees this. i also can do a little digging tommorrow, but i'm going to bed. :giggle:

but during play time tommorrow i'll try and get a video of them.

5 months is usually the time when we see some aggression. Although mild, it's still not pleasant to deal with. I would continue to socialize the these rats a lot. Down the shirt is good.
Will these three ever be introed to the other rats? If so, that might help her overcome her stress of "intruders".

Back