Weird phenomenon - Has anyone ever heard of this?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

I didn't know where to post this, so apologies if this has been misplaced. I originally thought I could post it in Behaviour, but I wasn't sure this belonged there. This post is open for friendly debate, especially since it falls in this grey area.

Storytime first:
[It is lengthy, feel free to skip]
As some of you may know, I have a rat named Chuchule, but everyone calls him Grumpy, also known (by me) as Gummy, Grump-Grump, Grump, Grum, etc. He will respond to anything I call him. He is an absolute sweetheart, always giving kisses, riding shoulders, and just cuddling underneath my chin and bruxing and boggling like no tomorrow. He wasn't like this always though.
I got Grumpy from a breeder (rat rescues are not close by me and I quite frankly didn't know Craigslist Pets existed back then) and he had sort of been aloof ever since I got him. Then came his hormones. He never went out of his way to get me. Most bites I received from him were completely and utterly my fault- sticking my hands on his butt, triggering a defensive rat, sticking my hands in between scuffling rats (he got a little rough with my older and since passed rats) and then receiving a nip. I could handle him, so long as I didn't aggravate him. He and I came to an understanding that I would limit handling him and he would tolerate me.
Fast forward to about a year later. He's a year old now, he and I still don't entirely get along, but I was fine with that. He was still taken care of, let out, and still interacted with, just not to the extent of my more cuddly boys. However, at this point in time, my original trio were becoming elderly and slowing way down. They were two and a half. My heart rat, Gideon, had always been my little lover, in my hoodie pockets, on my shoulders, in my arms, held like a baby, or fast asleep on my chest. However, nature took its course and Gideon was ultimately euthanized due to failing health. To make that even harder, it was the day before my 21st birthday. I live in the US, so I should've been excited to finally be able to drink beer. To avoid melodrama and pity-seeking, I'll get to the interesting part and what perplexs me.
Shortly after Gideon died, Grumpy seemed to "step up." This normally aloof, slightly intimidating rat was now begging for my attention and was giving me kisses out of the blue. All he wanted to, and still wants to do, is sit in my arms and snuggle and give kisses all day. Any comments or suggestions as to why?
I always see people suggesting that Grumpy knew how torn up I was about Gideon and just wanted me to feel better. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I don't doubt Grumpy was worried about me. I don't think he would've begged for my attention if he didn't care about me.

It's kinda strange, actually. When my dog, who I loved very, very much, passed away, Gideon seemed to step up as well and take care of me.
It's sort of a joke of mine that my dog told Gideon to watch over me, and then Gideon told Grumpy to. Then i laugh and day Gideon took a bet with Grumpy.

This is open for debate or comments. I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced this or not. I'll post pictures in my next reply. This is a long post.

The golden/orange/apricot rat was my baby, Gideon. I plan to get a tattoo of him one day. He sort of wormed his way in my heart. Then he snuck away with it! He'd run to me if he got scared and he would do homework with me and just cuddle in bed.

The grey and white one is my Grumpy boy. He unexpectedly got close to my heart. The extra fluffy face was him shortly after a bath. He also sits still for pictures (because he knows he'll get a kiss on his head). He also likes to kiss back.
I've got my other rats I can post as well.

Attachments

• 20180629_131350.jpg
    20180629_131350.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 56750.jpeg
    56750.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Snapchat-1780397202.jpg
    Snapchat-1780397202.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 182
  • JPEG_20171024_130438.jpg
    JPEG_20171024_130438.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 184
  • 20180623_204634.jpg
    20180623_204634.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 63308.jpeg
    63308.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 180
  • 20180224_174909.jpg
    20180224_174909.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 179
I've not really experienced this like that...but when pepper died, brother stepped up. He is the first one who jumps on my shoulder on the morning. He tolerates kisses the same way pepper did (bats them away, and dodged them), gets into things, demands attention (we have a top opening cage, and they will bounce under it to make slamming noises until someone comes.

I do believe we can communicate with them on another level, and they come to us in dreams.

Maybe Gideon had a talk with grumpy and explained why you do things certain ways. Maybe grumpy didn't feel important enough, or strong enough when Gideon was here?

First off Gideon was a beautiful fawn boy and secondly Grumpy is Russian Blue I think (depending on the pics he may be mink instead).

Rats can change their minds as they become older and often do. Rats that are aloof or fearful can suddenly decide YOU are what they want. I've seen this a lot over the years. It's always the most wonderful surprise, and you got rewarded for respecting when he didn't want that from before and not trying to push him to be a rat that he wasn't able to be...yet. Sometimes they feel our grief and the change happens other times it's out of the blue. :). Enjoy every moment :D

Oh definitely, I think our animals can come visit us. I've had weird instances of random hives/ rashes (I'm allergic to rat urine and I have sensitive skin to start with) on my neck, right where Gideon's favorite spot would have been, despite not being around my rats or having anything irritate my skin earlier. I still dream about my dog. I think they just like to pop in, do a quick check up, and then go back. We're convinced my current dog is seeing ghosts when he barks at empty space in the house. My bird has randomly freaked out and screamed, despite literally nothing changing in the room. We have too many instances of seeing ghosts, human or otherwise, in our homes. Again, this is weird and totally up for debate. I know I sound crazy, but that helped things heal over. I'd rather sound crazy than be grief-ridden forever.

As for why Grumpy changed, I suspect Gideon may have conveyed in some way what happens around there. It may have also been a dominance issue. When Gideon was getting older, Grumpy started challenging him for "alpha rat." I don't like calling it alpha, but I don't know what else to call it. Grumpy was never intentionally rough, but Gideon was getting old and I could see some arthritis developing. I don't know if Gideon passing and him sort of handing off the title could have impacted Grumpy's behavior. I suspect it made him calmer, but after Gideon died, Grumpy never showed any interest in being a puffy, aggressive, overly-dominant male rat ever again. He still had his testicles to this day. I guess maybe Grumpy felt like he was in the shadow of Gideon. Gideon was the favorite. I know we're not supposed to have favorites, but Gideon made it impossible to hold that rule with how stinking cute and cuddly he was. He was also very goofy. I have a lot of videos of Gideon doing funny things, like worming into a pillow and then poking his head out like "what?" when I called him.

Thanks lilspaz68! I'm not too well versed in colors, unfortunately. The breeder I've gotten Gideon and Grumpy from was also not too much into rat colors, just on the health and temperament. She called Gideon an apricot and Grumpy just grey. I'll post some pictures of Grumpy when he was very little and compared to what she called a Russian blue.
I definitely enjoy the change and won't take it for granted. Grumpy is always the first one to the door and giving kisses. I think because of him, my youngest, Arthur and Lucifer (I named him after the TV show/comic book "Lucifer" and not the actual devil), start giving kisses whenever I put my hands in. Grumpy also loves to lick other rats. He'd groom the babies and they would get so upset. He wouldn't pin them, just start licking and gently grooming them out of the blue.
Grumpy also has an adorable habit of climbing onto my head or, if he's lucky, snagging my shirt and then sticking his head down it. I have no idea why. I guess he's making sure there are no monsters hiding in there.

This was when I was bringing Grumpy, Ni, Chulatt, and their late brother, Platt, home. I forgot how soft baby rat fur is! Platt was a Russian blue, according to the breeder. You can see Chulatt's big dumbo ears. Oh my goodness, look how big and derpy they looked! They still look a little big for him to this day. Now he's got an adorable wrinkle in each of his satellite disks for ears.
The next pic was them all sleeping in a hammock. Here's a really good picture of their baby fur. Lil Chu (Chulatt) is grooming his big ears in the back. Ni-Ni was passed out. Then there was Platt and Grumpy. Platt was a very shy baby. That was the few rare pictures I got of him.

Attachments

• 20170827_153501.jpg
    20170827_153501.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20170901_151723.jpg
    20170901_151723.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 180
What an adorable story! I’ve never personally had an experience like this but I always believed our animals like to send a “replacement” to fill the void in us humans their passing brings about <3 all your rats are adorable btw

Omg such pretty babies! Brother (pepper's son, and now top rat) has seemed to have developed some of the characteristics pepper had. He is a very confident independent rat, wants love on HIS terms, thinks he should ALWAYS be the first out of the cage (to the point of pushing the others out of his way, and using them as step stools to get to me), and will sneak off to go explore and play in places he knows he shouldn't. But, he also now shirt dives once in a while like his mom, Macaroni does. The other day, I was hugging them Goodnight, and he pulled back the neck of my shirt, hopped in, and curled up on my chest and poked his face out at me like he was being tucked into bed! He did it right after I said "OK boys, Goodnight, I love you"! Then when I plucked him out, he looked so offended! He even turned around and gave me the ole over the shoulder glance as he walked away pouting! Rats seriously make my heart ache at their cuteness.

In the first picture (in a critter keeper on the way home) Grumpy was on the far left, on top of Platt. The second picture (all sleeping in a hammock) Grumpy is lying closest to the camera, with Platt behind him.

Thank you all! I'm sure Grumpy knows he's handsome, because I call him Handsome Boy and Cutie Patootie all the time :D Ni-Ni and Chulatt just get called "a-dor-a-ble babies" too. My boys know they're cute.

Gideon would push everyone out of the way too. He'd push them out of the way and then leap onto my shoulder. He was very spoiled.
He was never a kisser, just a cuddler. I've done the no-no and have actually accidentally fallen asleep with him (college life is draining). He had ended up napping with me, right next to my head! Thankfully, I have never done that again and I woke up before I moved and hurt Gideon.

I like to think that my dog is safeguarding my rats at the Rainbow bridge, occasionally poking in and making sure I have a rat to give me kisses.

Back