Weird one - Is Bennett a hermaphrodite?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybell2477

Ok, I really haven't heard of this before and I'd really appreciate any advice! I have to ask.

January, I adopted 4 lovely 3 month old boys from a sanctuary. One boy was very small (possibly the runt) and noticeably stressed, reluctant to be picked up, very afraid and began (albeit gently) communicating with his teeth! Also displaying hormonal issues with his paws out and back arched.

I took the helpful advice from lilspaz to neuter. That was a few months ago, and it really helped him. He's much happier.

But, I was watching him this evening and the way he moved. I've had Ladies, so I know how they move. Bennett moves like a female, if that makes sense! He is half the size of his 3 brothers. His fur is as soft and shiny as a kitten, not as course as the others. The other 3 all take it in turns to hump him! He doesn't like it, but he doesn't fear his brothers either. There is no fear. He's very, very vocal in protest, as I remembered my girls were! But he's dominated all the time, oh, and humped!

Surely, the vet giving the neuter would've been able to see if there was a genetalia and would've let me know?!

I would pick him up and inspect with taking a photo, but he hates being picked up. I will do it tomorrow just to be sure.

Do you think his super soft fur, getting humped and dominated frequently, being so tiny and the very feminine behavior are due to the loss of testosterone when he lost his balls? Or could he possibly be both sexes bless him?

Stumped!

His fur is soft because he does not have buck grease.
Rats that are not neutered have a hormonal secretion referred to as buck grease

His size is likely due to genetics and the fact that he was the runt
Being smaller and less aggressive (due to the neuter) is likely why has is being dominated by the others

poor little guy

I know. They all adore each other, always snuggling. He particularly clings to the alpha of the group. I find them both wrapped around each other every morning. And Bennett really is a happy little thing.

It makes sense, the neuter and the shiny, soft fur. I really daren't put the others through a neuter incase the anaesthetic kills them. And there's no violence or drastic fighting of any kind.

I really love this little one. He's such a character. I hope as they get older, they will stop pestering him!

How long ago was he neutered?
The coat changes after a neuter, they become super soft, much less sebum secretions. (buck grease) Also, the brothers can sense he's different, doesn't smell like a strong male so they will hump him and keep trying him out. All he can do is protest about it. This should settle down real soon.

Bennett's neuter was just over 3 months ago. The others keep checking out where his balls used to be. And he really is tiny. He looks very feminine. He's half the size of his brothers. He protests quite a bit and is very vocal. I don't blame him. I really am hoping it'll settle down soon. My poor little irresista-B! That's what I call him, because he's so cute.

All very typical of boys who were neutered young and early in the hormonal phase. I have had lots of "girly" neutered boys...they are lovely :D As everyone said, it should settle down in time, but he also may be a subordinate as well, so this will likely continue on and off all his life :D

Lol, he's my little girly rat. Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of a rat being both sexes before. But the way they were all humping him, I had to make sure both sexes weren't a real possibility. I'd of freaked out if he got preggers! That's just too weird to contemplate! He is very submissive. But they all love each other. Very rarely do we have a tiff and they are always wrapped up together and grooming each other.

Back