Weird Dominance Thing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon_mayhem

So i've never really been sure who is the alpha of my group of two. But i always see Izzy (the younger) sticking her head up in Emma's (the older) private area. It irritates Emma and she'll walk away if she's in the cage of if she's having her out time she'll scamper off under my bed just to be away from Izzy for a while.

So question one
Is Izzy just showing submission of sorts to Emma because she's the dominant rat?
(i see Iz trying to groom Emma all the time but Emma hardly does and grooming in return)

Question two
Is this normal rat behavior between the two of them?

I have a theory that Emma is a bit socially disabled because i got her when she was 3-4 weeks or so. And she was a lone rat with me for a few months then i got Izzy for her too play with, but she never really took to her like i thought that she should.

What do you all think?

It sounds normal to me. Izzy is constantly checking on Emma. When females go into heat, they emit a scent and that's probably what is attracting Izzy.

:doh: forgot about heats since mine are all spayed.

When rats have only lived together for a few months or less, there can be a lot of butt sniffing that gradually fades away.

Rats are odd little critters.
The running joke was always that Athena and Squeakers were lovers, because after Athena would pin Squeakers in a playfight, Squeakers would lick Athena's privates. Never did figure that one out.

That would make sense that she's in heat.

They've been living together for maybe 3 months which isn't that long so izzy's constant attention would also make sense in the situation.

Does anyone know how i could figure out who's the alpha, my family and i all have different opinions so i want to see if im right :wink2:

Back