Weight of your largest rat?(update - pic - main post)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what this means, but the last time I went to the vet, Beauty weighed 0.66 something. I don't know if that means pounds or what.

Ralphie is my biggest, last time I weighed him he was around 610g. Not at home right now so I'm not sure on his length. Here are my two most recent pictures of him. I think he's still at a pretty healthy weight, a little chunky but I love how squishy he is! :heart: What do you think, should I start to worry about his health soon? He's about 10 months.

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0661.jpg

crumbilina said:
A bit off topic, but what is a healthy weight for both male and female rats full grown (lets say about a year oldish)?

Females 225 - 500 grams

Males 250 - 550 grams

I'm not sure how accurate this is tho, I just looked it up on the internet, but if it were me, 250 would be not big enough for a male. Also it all depends on the rat too.

It depends on body shape too. Some rats can be healthy at 500 grams while others will be overweight/underweight at 500 grams. For example, Avatar's Winston was sick recently, and a normally healthy 700 gram rat dropped down to 500 grams. While that might be healthy for some boys, for him he was very underweight.

It's like with people. There's no real "ideal weight" for every person, since it depends on body shape.

Edit: For anyone worrying about poor Winston, he's finished his antibiotics and is back to his normal self, and back up over 600 grams again.

Slava weighs about 750 grams, but isn't fat. He's just HUGE.... a bulky guy in general. My old vet tried to get him to loose some weight, but my new vet doesn't seem to have a problem with it. He's just been steadily growing through his life (he's approx. 24 months). In comparison with his cage mate Little Rat, who's roughly half his size he really is a beast.

Slava must know that his name means "glory" in Russian, because on the whole he is one glorious sight to behold :D

Lightweights!!!! My largest was Trajan...1080 grams at the largest. Did he have a wieght problem? Oh yeah! Problem was...he was alpha, very ERY alpha, and any reduction in food, meant the others...would get less food and Trajan would truck right on. The vet suggested we put him in solitary...but he loved his colony, and the colony loved and needed him, so we just accepted him the way he was..

He lived to three, and up to his dying moment, never EVER lost his appetite.
l_f65a5bf533655aafaec53eb417d4c7e0.jpg

Guess which one is Trajan!

Rodentist

If you were in Canada, we weight in kg's making Beauty 660 grams. I take it she's not a huge girl? :cheeky:

I figured it was 0.66lbs = 300 grams. Didn't even think that it could be 0.66 kg = 660 grams. HAHA.

xxchelle said:
If you were in Canada, we weight in kg's making Beauty 660 grams. I take it she's not a huge girl? :cheeky:

I figured it was 0.66lbs = 300 grams. Didn't even think that it could be 0.66 kg = 660 grams. HAHA.

Chelle, I think you were right. It says shes from Oklahoma, which is the US (unless there is an Oklahoma in Canada I am unaware of) so it was probably a lbs measurement...

The biggest rat I ever had was Vroo, at his death he was 1197 grams!!! he was almost 20 inches from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail. Just a huge rat, powerful and had the demeanor of a sissy :heart: He was such a crybaby when he was tiny and he grew into this monster of a rat, not an alpha bone in his body and would cower to his Uncle Wembley who was an impressive 800 grams in his prime. That whole group of rats were big, heavily muscled and beautiful.

I miss that group of rats so much, my original Fragglerats :sad3:

Back