Weight gain to remedy tumour related thinness?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Momo just had her third tumour removal surgery because her latest one was becoming extremely invasive, making it difficult for her to walk and causing her to lose weight. She's still eating and drinking just fine and she's active - but I'm just wondering, now that the tumour's gone will the nutrients that went to the tumour before start going back to her, causing her to start returning to her normal weight, or will the nutrients go towards the growth of a new lump and she'll stay the same size as she is now? I'm probably just being paranoid but even now I don't fully understand how this particular type of cancer works.

Glad that Momo came through her surgery ok and is doing better.
I really don`t know .... but I expect that the nutrients will go to her, however, if she does have another tumour then some of the nutrients will also go to it.

Glad that Momo came through her surgery ok and is doing better.
I really don`t know .... but I expect that the nutrients will go to her, however, if she does have another tumour then some of the nutrients will also go to it.

She has a benign one by her armpit. We didn't remove it because it didn't seem like an immediate problem and it would require her to be under anesthesia for even longer. I guess since it's not as aggressive as the one we removed, she'll probably still get a lot more nutrients than she was right?

So she's still more thin than I'd like and her skin feels kind of loose. I assume that's due to the thinness.

Would it be okay to feed her scrambled eggs regularly to help her gain the weight back? Or are there health problems that can arise from too much protein? I'm just not sure if she might need extra or not since she's still healing and is fairly skinny.

Too much protein is quite a problem in rats. It really destroys their kidneys. And eggs also have lots of cholesterol which is really not good for anyone. What you want is a food that is high in good fats and low in bad fats and low in protein. Avocados are good as well as just adding coconut oil or olive oil to her diet.

Too much protein is quite a problem in rats. It really destroys their kidneys. And eggs also have lots of cholesterol which is really not good for anyone. What you want is a food that is high in good fats and low in bad fats and low in protein. Avocados are good as well as just adding coconut oil or olive oil to her diet.
Avocado and coconut oil is regularly available to me. How much of each should I give her daily?

Back