We made a hutch house!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kavatika

So I did a dumb and tried to order a home for my boys online; I didn’t pay close enough attention to what I ordered and we ended up with a nice cage....for a hamster 🐹
It was WAY too small for two rats, so I started looking for better options. I really wanted to get one of the critter nation cages, but they were way out of my family’s price range.
Cue a lucky coincidence! A gal in my neighborhood posted that she was getting rid of an armoire. I decided to go grab it and try to turn it into something safe and useable for our boys. After 3-4 days or straining, sweating, and swearing it’s finally done! I’m really excited with how it turned out!

EDD1298A-78A6-44D7-AFB4-142FBA7B04B0.jpeg

5A3996A6-E2FF-4AEB-B3CA-D4857B7EC94D.jpeg

Interesting. It looks like you put a lot of work into it. Nice big doors and a lot of airflow :) I hope it will last for awhile.
Hopefully you used a pet safe paint as they will chew
You could attach large sturdy baking cooling racks for levels and cover them with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on, ladders can be ordered from stores that sell CNs and you could hang lots of hammocks and a large space pod.

If you check out bin cages and rabbit cages on the Reference Thread you will see what I mean REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

This is beautiful!! How much did you spend on it and what materials did you use?
The only stuff we had to buy was some hardware cloth (the wire mesh). Cut out the front panels and made the opening in the side. Used a staple-gun to attach the wire mesh. Had to cut holes in the shelves so the boys can climb up and down. All in all we only spent about $30

Interesting. It looks like you put a lot of work into it. Nice big doors and a lot of airflow :) I hope it will last for awhile.
Hopefully you used a pet safe paint as they will chew
You could attach large sturdy baking cooling racks for levels and cover them with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on, ladders can be ordered from stores that sell CNs and you could hang lots of hammocks and a large space pod.

If you check out bin cages and rabbit cages on the Reference Thread you will see what I mean REFERENCE Thread - Read Only
We weren’t sure what kind of paint it was since I came pre painted, so we sealed it with a non-toxic clear sealant. It also means it will be easier to clean!

Back