We Have Lice! lil' help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

Well as if Coccidia and overgrown teeth weren't enough, we have discovered lice. :doh: SQ warned me a few days ago about carefresh bedding and how it should be frozen but it must have been too late, I noticed Rose was itching moderately and Petunia wasn't at all, but today I figured I really needed a close up look, so I set them up with a pile of rice krispies to distract them as I combed through their hair like a monkey. EW they aren't mites because I can for sure see them, and the phone consultation with my Fredericton vet is thinking its lice because they're white/red. My Hampton vet wasn't confident about treating rats so I had to call my Fredericton vet to send a prescription for revolution. Here are my questions for you folks:
1) I know the lice can't spread to people because its species specific, but can it spread to dogs, and if so can they hitch a ride on me and then spread to the dogs?
2) do I have to manually kill these suckers or will the revolution do all the work?
3) I've always thought I have a mild allergy to rats (since I do with most animals), and contributed my red and itchy skin to that but is it possible these are the cause?

Anyway thanks a bundle, you guys are always helpful and it seems I always need help :wallbang:

1) Species specific means they wont pass to anything but other rats. So kitties and puppies are safe :)
2) The revolution will do the trick, and FAST!
3) Again, the lice shouldn't effect you at all. It's usually urine under the nails that leaves welts. My skin gets the same thing.

It's a good thing you're doing all the crazy cleaning you're doing for Coccidia, because it's a good idea to clean everything really well when you're dealing with lice/mites too.

Sounds like you are getting a crash course in ratties ...
Revolution will clear up the lice, although they may need a second dose of revolution in 4 weeks.

ha its true things HAVE to get better, but on the bright side I have learned a lot about rats for a newbie, feel bad that the rats had to pay for some of my lessons though :sad3:

Thats probably how my boys got mites!! They were perfectly fine for months, then my pet store can't get me my cat litter for a week and i had to use Carefresh ><

wow revolution works wonders, They had their dose on Tuesday and got a bath today, they are grooming right now but I could really see their skin when their hair was wet and there isn't a bug! :joy: :joy:

Bedding material such as carefresh, aspen, etc. is often stored in sheds etc and may contain parasites such as mites, lice, fleas .... it is suggested that you freeze bedding for 48 hours before using it so that parasites may be killed.

Moon said:
You can freeze in smaller amounts, Ryelle

maybe i should buy a new freezer XD like one of those big chest ones lol. the amount i'd have to freeze each week wouldn't fit in my mums freezer. I fill the whole bottom tray of my rat cage with the stuff (80cm x 53cm with atleast an inch of litter), plus the litter trays dotted around. A 30L bag of cat litter only lasts a couple of weeks between 2 rats lol

LOL, yes a bigger freezer is needed. Between feeding the dog and having the rats, I'm thinking I need to find one someone is giving away or something...

Back