Water Bowls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

I thought I would post this because I realized, after a friend mentioned it, that not everyone might think of it. I mainly use water bottles on my cage....I have three of them and check them regularly and clean and fill them daily. But whenever I have babies or sick or older rats I add a water bowl to the cage.......
Right now I have one rat on heart meds......and even though he is doing very good the strain of standing at the bottle and licking at it might be more exertion then he needs. He loves drinking from the bowl of water (as do many of the others)
You just have to make sure you check it and put in clean water two or three times a day.
My friend said she would have never thought using a bowl of water when she had older or sick rats so I thought I would mention it in case others might not have thought of it.
Anything to make our rats comfortable. :wink2:

All my FN's have those big dog dollar store bowls of water. I clean the bowl/change the water usually twice a day...

When you have bigger colonies, they can sit around a bowl when the Big Thirst hits, less squabbling for the nozzle :laugh4:

Then there's Tepeu who has a fascination with digging madly in her bowl...sounds like a frantic bird in a birdbath...and don't be walking by her cage when she's doing this...you get seriously sprayed! :cheeky:

I've used water bowls for ages... and I have added water bottles but still have my bowls in the cage. My rats would go on strike if I ever removed their water bowls.

Most do this...

Rylee_edited-1.jpg

But some do this:

waterbowl_edited-1.jpg

My kids have a tendency to get a fresh bowl of water and in all of 5 minutes they thrash around enough that it is instead soaking their fleece. I just can't do it!!!

oh i should do that too in the fn hum i use water bottles in all cages except for Mr.Bean he will not learn or want to use a water bottle for some reason(he came from living in a fish tank) so its maybe why but he so far is the only one who uses a water bowl.

oh but what moon said too may be right lmao ill put that there and there goes the fleece in the bowl;they prob would do that too since i have big glass like bowls for the food dish and they tend to put the fleece in the food bowl. aw well.

I like to have both water bowls and water bottles in each cage.
Good reminder Dahlas.
Water bowls, changed and cleaned frequently are very important especially for the young, elderly and ill.

I use water bowls as well as bottles, even though they get messy fast. One of my rats used to tip them ( :gaah: ) but the heavy ones from the dollar store are pretty hard to tip.

My favourite water dishes are the plastic ones that attach to the side of the cage (if you have an FN or a Martins... but the CN has vertical spacing that is too small). They are available by mail at HealthyBird.net

My other favourite is the metal dishes that attach to the side of the cage. They are good for water because they are untippable.

some of mine love to fish for pasta from their water bowls. they splash a lot, but they have fun.

henry's_mum said:
mine seem to think that their water bowls are for putting their fleece in.
NOT good....
that and bathing in them, or using them as a litter box.
:roll:

same here; well they do it with the food bowls, i have not tried water bowls yet im not sure if i like to. maybe with my older girls ill give it a shot.

Back