water bottles for FN's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelley

I was wondering what brand/kind of water bottles you all use for your FN's?
I have a flatback from their SuperPet cage but it doesn't work as well for the FN :cry:

I used to have waterbottles until my rats decided chewing plastic was the new crazy. Regular waterbottles using odd things for guards works well.

FNwaterbottleguard.jpg

R-680waterbottleguard2.jpg

R-680waterbottleguard.jpg

Now I use heavy dog bowls for the bigger colonies.

My rats do dip their heads in the bowls and have a full sponge bath. But I change the water everyday so it's not a big deal. In fact, I love watching them bathe. :D

jorats said:
My rats do dip their heads in the bowls and have a full sponge bath. But I change the water everyday so it's not a big deal. In fact, I love watching them bathe. :D

I have to get a pic of Aura sometimes. She actually crawls her front torso in and rests in there. She looks like she's going to sleep too. I am going to see if I can find a much bigger ceramic bowl for her to get her entire body in. I won't leave it in there but offer it sometimes. :)

I change their water every evening but check the bowls in the morning as well, just in case they made a mess overnight. :)

Its a ton easier than waterbottles for me. :) The trick with bowls is trying to find a place that is not an area they will soil right away. The main waterbowl is on the top shelf of the FN and I have another one on the 2nd shelf below (protected from falling debris). In the Martins' I put it as high as I can for the same reason, and in the corner where there's more strength in the wire.

What kind of "heavy dog bowls"? I have tried to use water bowls for some of them, the ones that seem to work well for my guzzler cage are the clear water bowl things you screw onto the side of the cage so they can't move them. The big kids love to knock the bowls over I have given them though so I have stuck with water bottles.

When I saw Shelagh's huge dog bowls when I was over there a couple of weeks ago, I was very impressed. I came back home and did my hole city looking for them. Finally I found them at a discount store. They were only $2 each which is unheard of for big dog bowls around here. They are excellent, the rats can't move them at all. The only crappy thing, it takes an awful lot of water so I only fill it half way.

dogbowl.jpg

Wow! A bowl that they can't tip???? Seems too good to be true. Mine love the water dishes, but I have to put them in the gizmos that attach to the side of the cage or they will tip out the water.

I also have to change them at least once, and often twice, a day because they drop stuff in the dishes or sit on the dishes :roll: .

shelagh, I dread the day when mine start chewing the FN trays or the water bottles. So far, so good. I keep tons of cardboard/paper/wood in the cage to keep those little teeth busy. The cage gets messier, but so far they have not done too much damage.

I just spoke to mamarat and she had one of those big bowls, she also has these tunneling rats and she said that her rats would tunnel under the fleece, close to the bowl and end up turning it over. :roll:
So far so good for mine.

I use my Water Buddy water bottles (that I love!) in my FN and put rocks underneath them so they can reach them easily. :)

Back