Wash product for fleece liners?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so going to try these I bought plastic dryer balls but they go slam slam slam slam in the dryer which is not what the person upstairs from me wants to hear for an hour or more

digitalangel said:
I am so going to try these I bought plastic dryer balls but they go slam slam slam slam in the dryer which is not what the person upstairs from me wants to hear for an hour or more

Wool balls go thump thump thump :giggle:

digitalangel said:

I bought some as well at Home Outfitters, but found they never made a difference. I used them 'til they died, in the off chance they made my clothes dry faster.

I stumbled accross that store in Waterloo today when I was on my way home from my doctors appointment. Lol I saw it late, luckily there was noone behind me, and I pulled in.... awkwardly haha. There were only 2 parking spots for the whole store!

Anyway, so now I have some rockn green detergent to try witht he rat fleece. The only scent they had there was orange, so I am hoping that there really isn't a whole lot of scent to it. I really would have preferred plain, but what do you do.

I will let you know how well it works (tonight or tomorrow is laundry night). I REALLY hope that it works well, the fleece is starting to get SO gross! Like... so so gross

crumbilina said:
I stumbled accross that store in Waterloo today when I was on my way home from my doctors appointment. Lol I saw it late, luckily there was noone behind me, and I pulled in.... awkwardly haha. There were only 2 parking spots for the whole store!

Anyway, so now I have some rockn green detergent to try witht he rat fleece. The only scent they had there was orange, so I am hoping that there really isn't a whole lot of scent to it. I really would have preferred plain, but what do you do.

I will let you know how well it works (tonight or tomorrow is laundry night). I REALLY hope that it works well, the fleece is starting to get SO gross! Like... so so gross

Take pics!!

lol will do!

I was thinking of letting them soak overnight tonight. Only problem is that I will have to soak them in a bucket AND THEN grab them out of the mucky water (bleh) because I live in an apartment building with a common area laundry room that is open all night.

crumbilina said:
lol will do!

I was thinking of letting them soak overnight tonight. Only problem is that I will have to soak them in a bucket AND THEN grab them out of the mucky water (bleh) because I live in an apartment building with a common area laundry room that is open all night.

What about your bathtub?? :)

PitLuvs said:
I find the list of detergents funny, cause 75% of the cloth diapering world uses Tide Free and Tide (both powder) and swears by it. I tried Arm and Hammer Essentials,

A LOT of cloth diapering information can be used in rat bedding care, as both need to be sensitive to little littles, both soak up the same thing, and both are adorably cute. Keep digging! This is interesting for all to read.

That's a great video on the Rockin Green stuff. Never heard of it before. That laundry line brings back memories! Although the diapers I used were never that colourful! Glad to know they're still being used, and there are still some very smart moms in the world.

Tide products are very harsh, and I would never advise using them on your diapers as it would likely wear away at the fibers over time.

Washing soda works well as a pre-soak if that's all you can find. Also, never use fabric softener because that coats the cloth with a thick grey/brown oily substance and prevents absorption. Likely allot of that grey gunk that's soaking out of the so-called "clean" laundry is residue from fabric softeners. Also, if you have hard water, the minerals in the water will bind with the soap or detergent and also leave a grey film.

I've never had any problem washing the ratty fleece. Always comes out with no smell. I don't use anything special, just toss into the wash with my other laundry. Although I never leave any fleece in the cage for more than a day. Each day the fleece is removed and replaced with fresh stuff. I don't think you can mask the smell once it's been peed on, b/c the ammonia will appear soon after, and nothing you can do to mask that.

puffnstuff said:
Washing soda works well as a pre-soak if that's all you can find. Also, never use fabric softener because that coats the cloth with a thick grey/brown oily substance and prevents absorption. Likely allot of that grey gunk that's soaking out of the so-called "clean" laundry is residue from fabric softeners. Also, if you have hard water, the minerals in the water will bind with the soap or detergent and also leave a grey film.

I've never had any problem washing the ratty fleece. Always comes out with no smell. I don't use anything special, just toss into the wash with my other laundry. Although I never leave any fleece in the cage for more than a day. Each day the fleece is removed and replaced with fresh stuff. I don't think you can mask the smell once it's been peed on, b/c the ammonia will appear soon after, and nothing you can do to mask that.

Do even the vegetable based fabric softeners leave a film? My liners come out clean no matter how I wash them, my issue is that they smell like pee in less than a day (and my cage is not overcrowded) and I'm wondering if there's something else going on other than my rats peeing insane amounts. (They don't seem to drink an insane amount of water either.) I was going to get flannel liners, but if I can find a way to keep using the ones I have that's even better.

puffnstuff said:
PitLuvs said:
I find the list of detergents funny, cause 75% of the cloth diapering world uses Tide Free and Tide (both powder) and swears by it. I tried Arm and Hammer Essentials,

A LOT of cloth diapering information can be used in rat bedding care, as both need to be sensitive to little littles, both soak up the same thing, and both are adorably cute. Keep digging! This is interesting for all to read.

That's a great video on the Rockin Green stuff. Never heard of it before. That laundry line brings back memories! Although the diapers I used were never that colourful! Glad to know they're still being used, and there are still some very smart moms in the world.

Tide products are very harsh, and I would never advise using them on your diapers as it would likely wear away at the fibers over time.

We've been using cloth since April 2009, and I can say I absolutely LOVE it! We have always used Tide Free powder though, and still have diapers that are in the same shape as the day we started using them. We only use 2 tbs of Tide per large load of diapers though, so that could easily help with them not breaking down. We also never use fabric softners, and usually run a empty load after regular clothes are washed to prevent fabric softer transfering to our liners. I hate going to my mother in laws though, she had a bounce bar, so no laundry there for us!!

We use Amaze by Sunlight, its a washing soda. We usually soak in a cup of it over night, or add a handful to normal laundry to boost our Tide. You are right about hard or treated water though, we have to run a cleaner through our washer every month to take out the hard water buildup to make sure our diapers stay clean.

You are SO smart! I love all this knowledge on here.

victoria said:
puffnstuff said:

Do even the vegetable based fabric softeners leave a film? My liners come out clean no matter how I wash them, my issue is that they smell like pee in less than a day (and my cage is not overcrowded) and I'm wondering if there's something else going on other than my rats peeing insane amounts. (They don't seem to drink an insane amount of water either.) I was going to get flannel liners, but if I can find a way to keep using the ones I have that's even better.

I don't know about vegetable based fabric softeners, but I know from reading cloth diapering stuff that diapers that smell like ammonia the MOMENT pee hits them have a build up issue, that makes them smell - they smell clean out of the wash, then BAM! You might try switching detergents and stripping your liners.

I use momrat fleece liners.
I have 2 double FN's joined together.
6 rats live in it ..4 neutered males, 1 spayed female and 1 unspayed female.
I use unscented hypoallergenic baby detergent (liquid)
It leaves no residue & it lasts in my cage 7 days until I start to smell it.

I forgot to update on the Rockin Green

I plan on doing a soak next week. I couldn't do it for a while now because i had plumbers in (grrrr)

I have used it a couple times now and I like it, only problem is that they are very vague on the amount that you need to use for a load of laundry saying that you will need to tailor it to your needs. I like to work by ranges instead of just randomly trying different amounts... but I will try and figure it out :p

Ratty Momma: What is the brand name of your detergent? it would be awesome to not smell them in 7 days, or anything after one! haha

crumbilina said:
Ratty Momma: What is the brand name of your detergent? it would be awesome to not smell them in 7 days, or anything after one! haha

Purex Baby Soft is what I currently have, but I don't always get the same one, whatever one is on sale at the time. As long as its baby detergent and its hypoallergenic and unscented it works. But my cage is huge ..which could make a difference in the amount of time they last.

I found a website that carries Rockin Green, located in Toronto even(a home business), but they have flat rate shipping! So that means even if I bought a sample, and payed 1.50 for it, I'd still be paying five bucks. Meanwhile I could buy the actual thing and still only pay five bucks shipping! (Which beats the six bucks TTC fare to go get it... LOL).

But that's probably going to be a lot of detergent. If I give this stuff a try, does anyone wanna split it? LOL. (Goes for anyone in toronto or Guelph... I'm in both areas :thumbup: )

Back