was it a heart problem? my baby yuna passed away last night.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRider2k3

Last night my baby Yuna passed away. She was one of the MI hoarder girls, and was less than a year old, not fully grown. There were no signs she was sick, lungs healthy and I did a checkup of all the girls last week. She was playing fine earlier in the day. Me and littlematchstick found her about half an hour to an hour after she passed away. No signs of problems when we saw her. No noticeable physical injuries. No tumors or serious issues. She just passed away out of no where....

What are your thoughts? I'm just confused and saddened that she died so young....

Oh no that sad, was she the obvious sister to my Grumpy and Snickers? If so, I don't know if this means anything, but Grumpy has a strange yelping cough he gets from time to time and has had it since I got him. He has also sneezed his we first brought him home, but the yelping thing is weird. We hear it maybe once every 3-5 weeks and it lasts about a minute. He did it again the other day, but he had prophyfin leaking out his nose this time and I have never saw that before. Maybe they have some underlining condition we don't know about. So sorry for your loss :heart: :sad3: RIP sweet Luna :sad3: :heart:

EDIT: Snickers has audible respirations as of today, but he could have the URI that is going around here.

I'm so sorry. It is horrible when our babies die so young-- my Charlotte died at only about 5-6 months, too.

Hopefully, you can find some comfort in the fact that she must have died very quickly and calmly, in her sleep.

I lost my Summer young in spite of vet help and don't know why. It hurts to lose any loved one, but just as it is with losing a human the younger the more wrong it seems. My heart goes out to you. I wish I knew why Summer died but I never will, I only know she was given everything to sustain her physically & emotionally.
All these machines we have to find invisible anomalies or ticking time bombs in human's physical makeup that call for surgery before a problem carries out it's genetic murderous mission - we don't have that for our ratties. So some are going to die way young and undiagnosed.
At that point all we can do for them is to do our best for ourselves emotionally when it comes to this heartbreak, they'd want the same for us as we did for them. I'm so sorry about your Yuna.

I am SO sorry!!!!
I have had the same thing happen to me and it's heartbreaking. :(
My boy Onion was only 3 months old when he suddenly died.
I would love to see a photo of Yuna.
Play hard at the bridge sweet girlie. :heart:

We just found one of our boys from that same group passed away in the cage. he looked like he was just laying under my other rat boston sleeping and he just died. He showed no signs of distressed looked like a rat just sleeping. I am guessing there is something in their genes. I am going to try to listen to the other 2 boys we have here and see if i can hear a heart problem. I was stunned to find him he was so healthy looking and not sick at all.

Grumpy has always had a yelp from time to time, but nothing long term to take him to the vet for since its so sporadic. Same with his sneezing. Snickers has had a URI.

I'm so sorry. It's a terrible shock. It happened to me once, recently, when my apparently healthy Katie died for no apparent reason. Heart arrhythmias can cause sudden death in people, so the same might be true of rats.

Back