Wart like lump on the side of mouth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

I went to feed and medicate the rats tonight and I noticed Ralph had something on the side of his mouth. At first I thought he was being a weirdo again and walking around with food in his mouth or that he had food stuck to his fur but when I picked him up to check it out, I discovered it was a lump. It looks like a really big mosquito bite - bright pink and bald. It's just on the side of his mouth, where the top and bottom lips meet. It doesn't hurt or bother him, no smell of infection or apparent issues with his teeth. I'm fairly certain it was not there 2 days ago.

Anyone ever seen this before? I was hoping to not have to go to the vet this week but it doesn't seem like I'll be that fortunate. I'll try to get a pic (later) in the morning, way too tired right now.

He's not on meds but has some neuro issues (possibly hydrocephalus) and we think he suffered a spinal cord injury that affects his hind legs at some point and he got a lump around the same time, possibly a hernia, that I have to have looked at again. Other than that, he's in perfect health. (He is very healthy, just a bit of a spaz and needs some minor accomodations for his mobility and balance issues.)

I've seen something similar, a small cyst/abscess. It cleared up on it's own. I'd definitely take the wait and see approach with this one. If it gets bigger or stinky then I'd go to the vet. And definitely try the warm compresses if you can.

My first thought was cyst as well... from your description, it looks somewhat like a cyst Mac had on his back for the longest time - except it was not bright pink. Hopefully, that's nothing minor and you can keep contemplating a vet-free week!

Poor big Ralph... :heart:

Edit - I obviously meant "nothing major"... :wallbang:

I'm really scared it's malignant and I'll lose my window to remove it... I'm really not having a lot of luck with my rats lately. I'm going to take a picture as soon as Alex has a few minutes to hold the model.

Pics:

rat012_zpsa30b2da7.jpg

rat011_zpsfd26660c.jpg

rat010_zpsd7598af1.jpg

rat009_zps584590ee.jpg

rat007_zps67aca0fd.jpg

rat006_zps0a6a697f.jpg

rat005_zps2dd84d7d.jpg

Shelagh says it looks like a cyst so I'm going to *try* to do some compresses. My little buddy never stays still so it's not going to be easy by any means.

Eww... I squeezed it a bit last night and nothing happened but I tried again just now (and a bit harder) and green tea ice cream coloured pus came out. I squeezed it until it was just clear fluid/blood coming out, I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't fill back up.

Back