Warrick has teeth issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I swear this poor little guy can't catch a break.

We were giving him a once over today and noticed he has very crooked teeth. I have never had any ratties with teeth like this. How would we even go about this where he's so tiny? Could they straighten as he grows?

I wonder if that is why he hasn't been really chewing on the lab block? The same one lab block has been in his cage since he has been stopped being dropper fed. He has eaten soft things like cooked veggies and he just chowed down on a piece of popcorn.

I was reading that this can happen because from feeding by eye dropper. :( Really sucks if it's true.

He will need mushy stuff to make it. they look kinda long now, it seems like a vet visit will be around soon. Cant they trim them without putting him under? I know most people do it at home. I would worry about leaving them to long fear they would get stuck as he grows. I would think trimming them early will be better than leaving them?

[quote="lindsayfawn"

I was reading that this can happen because from feeding by eye dropper. :( Really sucks if it's true.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, like a kid getting bucked teeth from sucking their thumb as their adult teeth start to grow in.

He has baby cereal with formula still and we give him some mushed peas and cooked veggies.

I'll see what Dr.Rose says if she has any ideas. I was able to do the burrito trick and get some better pics. I think if we can do this at the vets and she dremel them then he might have a change. They are extremely crooked though :(

Should she go pretty close to the gum line?

Poor baby. It doesn't look like a trimming can wait before his incisors puncture his gums. I wonder if they would be able to do it really quick without any sedative.

Aww, poor Warrick...first the tail episode, then his back foot and now his teeth. I feel for the little guy, but at the same time, he has already shown that he has the bravery, spunk, energy and the fighter instinct of 10 rats, even at such a young age, so I know he will get through this too and come out on top like he has been doing with all his other issues. Warrick just awes me with his strength and fortitude. :bow:

I hope there is a way to safely help him with his teeth to get them fixed up. Let us know what Dr. Rose says?

Warrick, stay strong little buddy....we are all rooting for you! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, for this guy it was dropper feed, or death. if this was caused by dropper feeding - kind like the thumb sucking buck teeth thing mentioned earlier - I wonder if one good quick trim would be all he needs and maybe once he's able to eat sold foods they'll come in straight? poor lad, can't catch a break.

Dr. Rose is supposed to call me tonight or tomorrow. Going to see if we can dremel his teeth down close to the gum line so they will grow in proper. Hopefully that works. Something has to be done 'cause they're way to close to the side of his mouth

I just seen on fb that another person had a runt baby with this and they trimmed his teeth themselves. I am not sure of the age but at least it looks like it can be done.

Warrick is quite the trooper. Dr. Rose had to give him a little gas to help calm him down as he was stressin pretty bad. She managed to get a lot cut down. I'll get better pics when Ang gets home.

His teeth are still really crooked and he'll need another trim in a week or so. Hopefully he can get them realigned him self by chewing on stuff.

Thanks. He's doin pretty good.

As you can see his top teeth are still very crooked. But at least they're much shorter. I think she took off at least 1/2 inch or more.

It may take a few months but they may straighten out, I hope they do. He's very lucky to have made it this far. I thought he was wild? Are you still thinking that?

victoria said:
It may take a few months but they may straighten out, I hope they do. He's very lucky to have made it this far. I thought he was wild? Are you still thinking that?

Never thought he was wild. A lady got him from Pet's Unlimited from Saint John as a feeder.

When I rescued Petunia, her bite was WAY off. After her teeth were trimmed 4 times (8 weeks), her bite self-corrected and was great for 1 1/2 years (it's messed up again, but that's another story! LOL). So there is a chance that his might correct itself too if you can get his teeth short enough. I would definitely suggest having him OUT for the dremel though, as one small move by him and he could be seriously injured.

Joanne said:
When I rescued Petunia, her bite was WAY off. After her teeth were trimmed 4 times (8 weeks), her bite self-corrected and was great for 1 1/2 years (it's messed up again, but that's another story! LOL). So there is a chance that his might correct itself too if you can get his teeth short enough. I would definitely suggest having him OUT for the dremel though, as one small move by him and he could be seriously injured.

Where he's so tiny I was afraid having him out wouldn't be good. She gave him some gas to quiet him. Though We might have to put him out anyways as he has a new issues :( A huge lump pretty much grew over night on his left hip. Same side as the foot he hasn't been using. I'm thinking everything is connected in some way. Poor guy has been through a lot for only being 39 days old

Back