wanting to buy a sewing machine - input please?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcityrats

I've been wanting a sewing machine for a while now, but I'm really on a tight budget. I have no idea where to start and I've started casually researching on amazon (reading reviews and watching product videos). I don't feel comfortable enough to buy something used off of craigslist or ebay because I don't have enough experience or knowledge to determine the quality of it, and I dont want to accidentally buy something that isn't going to work.

My ideal price range is around or below ~$50 (USD) and I'm not looking to do anything fancy. I would mostly like to use it to fix holes in my shirts (you know - the kind that always show up in the armpits), sew hammocks and other stuff for the rats, and also maybe make some hats, stuffed animals or something. I don't need anything heavy duty and I'm not planning to work with very thick fabric or layers, just something that is able to work through things like fleece and cotton. I'd like to be able to sew things like this: http://lilybugdesigns.blogspot.com/2010 ... orial.html along with hammocks and other fun stuff for my rats :)

I'e had my eye on this machine: http://www.amazon.com/Michley-LSS-505-M ... 742&sr=1-1
And I was hoping someone with experience and knowledge could take a look and let me know if this looks like a decent machine to start out with. I plan on learning as much as I can once I get ahold of one, but since I'm a total newbie I don't want to get something that is going to give me a lot of hassle or break. I read the reviews and it seems like overall they are fairly positive. I just want something easy and simple to use. What do you guys recommend/think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out your local craigs list or other? You might find some thing worthy.
I wish I could be of more help. I don't sew.

honestly I don't think you can get a decent machine for $50 unless you buy a good model second hand- and even then, these days most ppl know what a good machine is, and will ask for top price. I have a second hand 1956 Singer 301A I call Sally and she was nearly $200, even though she's both old and second hand, but they just don't make machines like her any more, so she was worth every penny. If I ever decide to sell her, I should be able to get the full $200 for her, too.

for a newer model,this is a good machine and easy for a beginner:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-2600I ... ne/4764723

the reviews on Walmart's site and amazon are both great, and you can't beat that price.
it's not a whole lot more than the other Brother machine but I've seen both machines in person and I can tell you, the extra $35 for the $85 machine really seems to be worth it, it's heavier and appears to be better made.

If you really can't go up over $50, you might want to try taking a friend who sews with you to second hand stores and yard sales etc to try to find a working machine second hand.
You can sometimes get a FREE working machine on Freecycle and Craigslist

I think it's doubtful that the Michley Lil' Sew & Sew Mini Sewing Machine would be good for sewing hammocks, esp if you use double fleece.

Out of the ones you are considering I'd definitely go with the brother machine. I have 4 different brother machines and love them all. They are by the maker of Babylocks, which are some of the top quality machines and many of the parts of them inside are identical to Babylock machines.

I defo recommend brother sewing machines. I permanently borrowed my partners mum's sawing machine which is a Brother BS2450 its got to be 10-15 years old but it works a treat, I've made hammocks, sawed denim and all kinds of different fabrics.
Hope you find one suitable at a good price.

I do want a sewing machine myself too, but I might just end up sewing a part of myself to the fabric :|

I did consider a brother, it seems good. Although most people seem to prefer Singer sewing machines. Then again, go with what's comfy! If its just simple patching and making hammocks for your own use, I suppose checking out one second hand would be great :)

Pluie said:
I do want a sewing machine myself too, but I might just end up sewing a part of myself to the fabric :|

I did consider a brother, it seems good. Although most people seem to prefer Singer sewing machines. Then again, go with what's comfy! If its just simple patching and making hammocks for your own use, I suppose checking out one second hand would be great :)

I've heard good things about older singers, and many bad things about newer singers.

Back