Wanting male rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatDad2017

Hello everyone!

So, I currently have 5 female rats, and they’re amazing, but I would love to start a different rat pack with just males. I’ve read mixed messages about having males and females in the same room of a house (due to the fact that they could smell each other and possibly get violent), but I’m just curious on if any of you have any experience with this? I am NOT getting males to breed with my females and I am NOT going to mix the males and females together. I just want to know if I would need to keep their cage in a separate room or not.

Thank you!

Girls going into heat every 4 or 5 days will impact the males and their behaviour, causing stress and in some cases, aggression.
Having 2 intact sexes in the same household is an accident waiting to happen because rats are very smart and very motivated, and people are not perfect 100% of the time.

Having both sexes is great but one sex needs to be neutered or spayed. In addition, it is important to spay girls for health reasons if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely spay rats
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

In addition, if one sex is altered, then both sexes can be introed together and live together (wait 2 to 3 weeks after neutering boys so all sperm is dead) …… mixed colonies are great

Back