Volunteering at my vet's- day 3 on pg. 2

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I seriously considered going for veterinary medicine, and would have loved the surgery and save part of it, but didn't think I could take the heartbreak all the time. I can logically understand the need for euthanasia, and have had many pets euthanized, but it's hard enough dealing with your own grief let alone everyone else's...
I'm glad you are having an interesting time!

Yeah, it is sad Joanne, but I hope that the animals the vet saves kind of outshine those he couldn't. At least when it comes to thinking about it later.

The three days I've volunteered so far, there's been 5 euthanasias- counting the owl that I guess will be put to sleep later or at the sanctuary. So it's definitely the most common procedure, maybe less common than the laser therapies I mentioned. Still, even they kind of push me into wanting to go into the field more than they push me away.
When I volunteered at the hospital, I liked it, but I didn't really get any more passionate about medicine. When I leave the vet's, each time I kind of want to do that later in life more than more. :)

Back