VNB's rats - Updated 02/25 warning: pic heavy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear I can see them growing, one day someone is the runt and the next he's bigger then someone. So I'm trying to have as much fun as I can giving them big things and squeeing over how cute it is. I can't wait until they are big enough for me to remove the hardware cloth though. Or old enough to appreciate being petted/scratched.

IMAG0503.jpg

^ That is why there are no photos of the boys in the cage.

On the 19th I took them in to the vet because of the continued sneezing. I only took in Cav and Xin figuring it would be best if Shen stayed home and had a buddy.
Cav weighs all 283 grams (?) and Xin wouldn't hold still long enough to be weighed properly but everyone is very very close to the same size.
They are now on Baytril .1 cc once a day.

By now everyone but Shen is pretty good about meds, though Xin and Cav squeak about being held for meds. Cham loves his meds and tries to get in the way when everyone else is having theirs.

Today they are very zippy again and it's very obvious that they are all feeling much better. I need to call the vet and get one more week's worth, she only gave me enough for two weeks. One week down, two to go.

In other news Shen is finally coming around when it comes to being held. He still hates being picked up but I can hold him without him scratching hard enough to break the skin.

I am also trying to potty train them, I don't think it will work but I can hope.

Handmeafish came over today and surprised me with my SS gift!

Then she got to meet the shelter boys. They are still sneezy but the pneumonia has cleared up and they are feeling much better.

As if there wasn't enough going on I decided to start intros between the shelter boys and the other four. I started by introducing the shelter boys to Cav. There was no sign of puffiness or any bad feelings so I brought out the other three. It went over quite well with one of my boys, Shen, acting up near the end. It looks like Shen may cause trouble with the shelter boys, so introductions may take awhile.

In the next week or two I'll be ordering a DCN so even if the boys don't get along everyone will have plenty of room.

DSC_0292.jpg

^ What's this?
DSC_0294.jpg

^ Oh, it's a ball...nom nom nom.
DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

^ Only photo with all six boys.
DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

OMG they are adorable!!!
Do you mix their meds into yummy food? I always serve meds mixed with e.g. baby cereal with banana flavor on a spoon. They gobble it up and i don't even have to hold them or force them to eat the meds.

I have tried to mix their meds but it hasn't worked unfortunately. Ray doesn't like to take food from me and if he does he won't eat it, just stash it. Shark is much happier to take food but won't take anything laced with medicine, not even strawberry syrup.

I've had them for nearly a week now and they are still sneezing but not nearly as bad but it seems like I've hit a plateau. So it's off to the vet when I can get them in so I can get them on something else as well.

OMG! I just went through this entire thread. You have the cutest babies ever! I've seen some pictures of your little ones before but didn't know who they belonged too. Sounds like they are great little guys and you of course are a wonderful rat mama. Thanks for sharing. <3

I just found your thread as well. Your ratties are totally adorable and your photos are wonderful. Have you tried mixing the meds with cool whip or some other nutritionally lacking, but good tasting treat?
Sometimes I even add a dab of chocolate or strawberry sauce/syrup to the cool whip. If it gets their meds into them, then it's a good thing :)

Aww, thanks. ^.^ I adore these kids.

One of the two shelter boys decided to rip up the corner cube that Fish made, so it got taken away from them. It's now in the SP and the shelter boys are backing to having a hammock. Everyone likes the treats she brought over too.

And I got a mix good news and bad news. Fish and I both wondered if these boys had originally come from a local breeder so I e-mailed her. Luckily they did not come from there, unfortunately she also told me they are likely originally from a pet store as no breeders around here are really breeding those patterns. It also means I still only have a guess as to how old they are, oh well.

rattytat - Yes, I've tried mixing their meds but Ray won't eat anything I give him and Shark will smell the meds and not eat it. (They are on clindamycin which has a very distinctive and hard to mask smell.) So I've been forcing meds which isn't too hard especially since they aren't getting much. If I have to go to the vet for something else (and it's looking like it may be that way) it will probably be something easier to mask or even Baytril which the other rats have all taken willingly.

I haven't updated this or added photos in too long. Please excuse the poor quality, it seems my camera charger has vanished.

Shen now gets daily eye drops and one on one time to help him calm down around me. I'm very happy to report he is starting to relax more and more, but still has a long way to go. During his one on one time I don't bother to cover my bed like I do when the large group is out and I discovered he likes stuffed animals.

IMAG0683.jpg

He also rather enjoys my blankets and comforter. Spoiled boy.
IMAG0693.jpg

On the 02/07 I brought home two new boys from Eagle's house, Tava and Tosca. Tosca took awhile to settle in and longer to warm up to me, but you wouldn't be able to tell that now. Tosca used to jump off of my bed but has since stopped. He has discovered he is a shoulder rat and that's all he wants to be, thank you very much.

When they finally settled in I began intros. Scary and neutral intros went very well but I have no photos since I had no helper. Familiar intros took longer. Xin wanted the new kids to know that he was boss; it scared Tosca and Tava wasn't having any of it. On the third day of familiar intros Tosca was no longer afraid and Tava was figuring out his place. Shark decided that he adores the new boys and now is rarely seen without one of them.

Eventually everyone was getting along very well, sleeping, eating and playing together. I decided to move them in, and stayed up all night, in the dark, making sure everything went well. I didn't need to stay up though, everyone did very well with only some minor poofiness and the usual "no, don't step on me" or "stop grooming me" squeaking. It's been a few days since then and they're all getting along quite well.

Tava and a poofy Xin sharing veggies.
IMAG0839.jpg

Discovering the bag holder.
IMAG0856.jpg

Tosca proving that he can make anything look cute.
IMAG0862.jpg

And some random photos.

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0775.jpg

Shark says "HI MOM!!!"
IMAG0833-1.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

IMAG0851.jpg

Back