Vibrating and growling.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
Ok so many of you know of Penny's aggression issues of late. I noticed something interesting (albeit probably unacceptable) tonight when she was all puffy and hissy over Raj's smell. She would vibrate, which I know a lot of people have seen, but if I had my ear pressed against the pillow or mattress I could hear her growling. Very weird. I imagine it is difficult to hear normally but the density of the pills must have changed the sound waves. Anyone else ever noticed this?

Maybe she needs an exorcism. Before Oliver got his neuter I wasn't too sure which he needed. I swear that boy was possessed, you could literally see the switch flip with him from Oliver to Oliver isn't home anymore - possessed stay away he will attack!!! He would be just fine - then all of a sudden stare off into space with a blank stare - that was Damen and he could fly through the air to latch on and attack you. He sent a vet tech to the er. Never heard growling, but if he could I'm sure he did.

That's interesting that you could hear growling when your ear was pressed to a pillow. Maybe it was the vibrations? I've seen females' ears vibrate when they're in heat. Do you think this is part of what Penny is doing?

Hmmm I dunno maybe? She was puffed up and doing that little sway of aggression. I'm not sure if she was vibrating. It was just this very low pitched, humming sort of growl. I think she might need that exorcism. Klonopin isn't working. :/

It could be part of her bruxxing. Some rats and I've seen this in a handful of really aggressive males, they do vibrate but also do a sort of different bruxxing as well. Not typical bruxxing but a hard deeper one.
Also, there is a very light sound some rats do when feeling dominant/stressed.

If she's puffed up and swaying, I don't think she's showing signs of being in heat. Puffed up especially is a sign of aggression/fear. I'm going to have to press my ear to my pillow with my rats to listen and see what I hear, too!

Back