VERY WORRIED.... EEEERRRR

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodentlover101

Well i woke up this morning to the MOST HORRIBKLE grinding noise...

I looked all over my room and i got to the rat cage and shophie has the most dreadfull cheast flemmy grunting gurgleing NOISE..... There was no signs of this yesterday.... She seems fine other than the few scabs that are still healing with the mite treatment..
I rang my vet but cannot get in till wednesday and this morning i thought it would be ok But now... it is dreadfull

She has gone down hill all day rattleing coffing and very lathargic. she hasnt eaten and the only water i have seen her drink has been the stuff i am giving her......

I have got rehydrating fluids, and Medi-cam here plus another for of pain relife.....

OK SO what can this be .... it was VERY VERY sudden and the vet thinks chest infection(My other rats passed from this) So i am a total mess.

Should i give her the pain relif and rehydrationg fluids?

she is seperated in a small cage with a hot water bootle and warm bedding and looks really moiserable.. Sadley no emergency vets are helping as they keep saying it is a RAT there is nothing we can do...

So any tips on what i can do for tonight...... I am going to ring my regular vet tomorrow to make a ER appointment...

First, I wouldn't separate her. Many times when separated rats become very stressed out and this is worse for them.
If the congestion sounds very loud, it could be in the nose. You could try giving her benedryl or something similar. Since you have metacam on hand, I'd probably give her a tiny bit of that. The anti-inflammatory properties might do her a world of good. But I wouldn't give both. (congestion syrup or metacam)
I would definitely try to get her to eat and do the fluids too.
If it's in her nasal passages then it might not be a dire situation... it can wait till Wednesday. Hopefully then, you'll get better meds for her, Baytril and doxy. Has she been sick before?

nope .. she had a few scappy wounds that we thought could have been mites but they have all but healed now....

Hmm she is fast asleep now nad the noise is a little better still rattling but not as loud Ok ill give her some congestion stuff my bro has a cold so we have benedryl handy and the rehydration and she has had a little bit of yohurt while i typed before so i will see what i can whip up to make her hungry..

Finger crossed it ends up being congestion.. there is however no discharge. probably why i never thought of it...

thanks for your help

It is so scary when stuff pops up like that... fingers crossed that she's feeling better soon! Maybe you can ask your vet to call you if there's a last minute cancellation?

OK she is a little better today but not great... She is drinking and eating by herself so i didnt call the vet i will go tomorrow and hope it is not a chest thing my last experiance with chest infections resulted in the passing of my rats..... fingers crossed

We took sophie to our vet he said it didnt look to good......She has got a chest infection type thing and he has give us antibiotics to give her. She was looked good but went down hill again at around 5pm tonight. The only thing i can get her to eat is.,.

Porage mixed with...
grated apple
Mashed bannana
Apple juice
Yoghurt.

Really that is all she has had for 3 days now.. I have added some differnt things to the mix like Whole graid bread cumbs, some wholegrain rice ECT to try and get some of the nutrition she needs into her.... She ignors her fav food and salad and lentil mix every thing else she used to LOVE..... She is drinking but i am still sumliment giving her hydrating stuff cause she isnt drinking alot......... Most of the day she is sleeping and wheezing the others are taking shifts of sleeping with her to keep her complany soo cute to watch Harry spends MOST of the day with her groomng and stuff he is such a sweety pie..

Hard thing is i have to go away for a few days and leave her with my MUM she LOVES the rats but it is hard leaving my baby when she is soo sick..

Any tips on what i can do other than what i am doing.. i know i should try to get her to eat normal food and she is just probably being fussy but i dont want her to not eat and not drink.. would rather she eat something till she is over the infection.

Thanks guys.. hope she pulls through the next few days.. fingers crossed

At this point, whatever she'll take is good enough. Do you guys have meal replacement drinks there? We have Ensure and Boost...something like that might be worth a try, it would be good nutrition and good for hydration too.

Hi all, sorry for no update have been runn of my feet..

SHOPHIE IS GREAT... she is no longer weezing eating and drinking is back to normal... She is seperated from the others and LOVING IT..

ME and my mum took turns staying awake with them and 2 night running Sophie and Maggie got into BIG fights... Maggie Won.. so after all this time thinking maggie was the GOOD rat she is the one being a bully.. and it explane the onset of such horrible scratched skin and why it is Looking so much better when she is in her own cage..

SO YAY........ my baby girl we be ok...... Now it is a wait and see if she can be put back with the group again or if i have to get nother rattie friend for her.

This is good news. Maybe you could start intros again but go very slow and if that doesn't work... then a young little friend might be what she needs.

Back