Vegetarian Dog Food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Ok, so I know dog food is not energy dense enought for rats because a dogs main energy source is protein and a rats main energy source is carbs right? I might have gotten that mixed up, but no sure. BUT, what about vegetarian dog foods for rats? Look at Natural Balance vegetarian formula:

Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Peas, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Vegetable Flavoring, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-2 Supplement, Folic Acid.

18% Protein
8% Fat

When I look at the first few ingredients on this and then Harlan, NB sounds 100% more healthy. But then you have to look at the vitimans and minerals and that can be a problem so you just need to supplement it will a mix somewhat like suebees (but I would cut out the dried fruit and all the sugar and salt and stuff like that) and then a wide variety of fruits and veggies everyday.

Right now I am feeding an organic, high quality, dog food and I do admit my rats are a bit chubby and not as hyper as they were. So I have cut down on the dog food and added more grains and veggies to the diet. I'm guessing that the problem is all the meat in the dog food. So I have decided to switch to NB vegetarian formula and see how that turns out.

Just wanted to let you guys know of my experience and my ideas :thumbup:

Any comments are welcome!

That fat % is much too high at 8... it should be 4 to 5% fat for rats.

When I fed my rats vegetarian dog food and Suebee's mix, I was not pleased with their health and over all appearance.

jorats said:
That fat % is much too high at 8... it should be 4 to 5% fat for rats.

When I fed my rats vegetarian dog food and Suebee's mix, I was not pleased with their health and over all appearance.

Oh, I didnt know that you fed vegetarian dog food.

Lol Ratlover101, i dont really understand why your so determined to feed your rats dog food? Youve been posting about for a long time about it now

ryelle said:
Lol Ratlover101, i dont really understand why your so determined to feed your rats dog food? Youve been posting about for a long time about it now

Probably because it is so hard to find anything good to feed them......I am almost out of HT and can't seem to find any bags of hamster blocks. I will be picking up some oxbow on Wednesday if they have any but it is getting to the point that I might have to feed dog food. If you can't find good food and can't order it in well you do what you can......

Yea, i see what you mean Dahlas. You all seem to be crazy over this Harlan and Oxbow stuff, but we have to settle for second best in the UK lol. Id never even heard of it before i joined this forum! We dont really have people making diets specifically for pet rats :(

Good ole' Pets at Home Rat Nuggets. Its hard for me to get though, so i feed sometimes end up getting my two boys anything i can get my hands on. The Nuggets probably arent the best blocks in the world. The stores around here ONLY sell Reggie Rat (the grain mix)... and thats rarely found. They normally only stock dog, cat, rabbit and hamster food.

Dahlas said:
ryelle said:

Probably because it is so hard to find anything good to feed them......I am almost out of HT and can't seem to find any bags of hamster blocks. I will be picking up some oxbow on Wednesday if they have any but it is getting to the point that I might have to feed dog food. If you can't find good food and can't order it in well you do what you can......

Thank you Dahlas! Thats exactly the reason why! Oxbow is waay to expensive for me, I dont want to feed harlan because I dont want to support the use of lab rats, I can never find them. My pet value is no longer carrying extrusion and I wouldnt want to feed that anyway. The only choices I have are dog food and a mix or Kaytee (NO!!). And I honestly have no problem with feeding a veggie dog food and a healthy mix. I just want to make sure that the dog food is high quality, low fat and protein. I think I have decided to use Natural Balance veggie and an organic one.

jorats said:
That's the one I was feeding, the Natural Balance Vegetarian. :(
May I ask what you have against the Extrusion?

I dont really have anything against it its just that I would prefer not to feed anything with so much corn in it and when I bought a bag it stunk horribly so I bought another bag and the same thing happened. It's just not something that appeals to me (or sometimes my rats) when looking for food. Thats all.

I personally feed Natural Balance Vegetarian formula (right now I feel it with Harlan and Suebee's but I used to feed it as a staple) and I had no problems. The thing that I did was moderate how much they got and only get them as much as they needed for the day. I'd recommend feeding it with something else like Oxbow or something else.

I've fed it to my rats also without any problems. They loved the stuff. I'm partial to the vegetarian harlan blocks though & so are the rat ;)

Back