Vaginal bleeding/Update 06/06/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in the pyometra link you posted the little hairless girl in the first set of pictures with the groin tumor is the exact same spot where Rose's is. I thought it might be an abcess at first because of the discoloration but the vet is almost positive it is a tumor. So she is on Baytril for 10 days and then she goes in on June 16th to have to tumor removed if all looks okay for surgery. Fingers crossed this will be the source. My Rose is way too young.

According to the RMCA, there are many things it could be, including a urinary track infection ...
And as everyone has said, if that is the problem, treatment with antibiotics will take care of it.
If antibiotics don't solve the problem then you will know it wasn't a uti.

If it is being caused by myco and the bleeding is light, then treatment with enrofloxacin for the rest of her life may keep the bleeding under control (p. 42) ... but the bleeding could become very bad without warning.
The recommended treatment for bleeding from the vagina is a spay and sometimes the vagina needs to be removed as well, depending upon the cause.

So I cleaned the cage last night and put down the light pink fleece so that I could see if Rose was still bleeding. So far not a single drop of blood and her blanket that she always sleeps in was spot less. So after just 2 whole days on Baytril no more bleeding. Lets hope she keeps this up so I can get the tumor removed and everything will good.

Melissa's ZOO said:
My vet who does the tumor removals is not an "exotic" vet so he will only do tumors and neuters (he only charges me $50.00) but does not feel comfortable doing a spay since it is actually opening the body cavity. And the so called Exotic vet here will not do both, he has basically told me I am stupid for wanting to spay a rat and that is why he wants so much and to do two surgeries. He also told me spaying has no health benefit.

But my vet "non-exotic" agrees spaying would prevent the tumors and many other things but he is not an exotic and at least he was honest with not wanting to do the spays because he is not comfortable with it instead of saying okay and them dying. So I am at a loss on getting her spayed.

The exotic vet said WHAT???? :shock: Spaying has no health benefits??? Where did he study veterinary medicine... in his own basement... without windows..... and no computer.... facing a blank wall.... with veterinary medical books he made up in his head as he went along.... on drugs..... being washed down with alcohol..... topped off with a hash cigarette??? :redhot:

Melissa, I think your vet needs to be replaced.... I know an orangutan who would probably fare much better as a vet. :laugh4:

Sorry, bad humor... but that is typical of me when I am in a state of disbelieving shock.

Should we send the dillweed a copy of Debbie D's Rat Health Care Guide so he can brush up on his pathetic veterinary skills, or should we just stick him in a back kitchen amongst the black beetles to be wallopped with a broomstick?

How is Rose doing now Melissa? She has been on Baytril for a few days now hasn't she?

Still don't like the vet so I will give him no credit for anything until he is successful with Rose's surgery. In my book, if a vet wants to be an "exotic animal vet" then he/she needs to be up to par on everything concerning their health. My vets KNOW about exotic animals. Dr. Davis does both neuters and spays on rats/mice/hamsters/gerbils/you name it and knows the benefits of both!

Let's hope this dude manages to chalk up some brownie points to help his meagre standing in my book. :evil:

She is doing really well actually no blood and she has an appointment on the 16th to have her tumor removed.

My vet does not claim to be an exotic in fact I kind of threw him into it(he is my dog vet and one day I said hey "I need a rat tumor removed can you help me?"), so it is actually my fault he does not know much about them but he really does try and has one of Debbie D's rat health care books, that he purchased on his own.

I go to him because the so called "exotic" that is local is a complete jerk and told me a spay was a waste of money.

At least Dr. Cody "non-exotic" agrees a spay would be beneficial he just does not feel comfortable taking that chance with my girls when he does not know what he is doing in that aspect. But Dr. Cody has done several successful tumor removals and one neuter for me in the past and I trust that Rose will be okay once we have the tumor removed. If not we will go from there.

I figured that, my post was a little confusing so it was easy for me to get confused on who the heck I was talking about =) sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain and before I know it I have two stories in one story and cannot figure out where one ends and the other begins.

But Rose is doing very well, she enjoys the Baytril, baby cereal junk every morning and every night. She has even gotten to where she will attack the baby rings hanging in the corner of the cage to make this loud banging noise and she only does it at 7:50 a.m. and 7:50 p.m. which is exactley when I get her meds ready. Its like she is getting angry that I have not given her, her treat yet and she is demanding it now, or reminding to not forget about her. She looks evil as she does it too, like she is showing me what she will do to me if I do not hurry with her yummy stuff.

I'm glad she's not bleeding anymore. I noticed my rats too will remind me it's their meds time. It almost looks like they're addicted to their meds and look so sad when they don't need them anymore. lol

Melissa's ZOO said:
She is doing really well actually no blood and she has an appointment on the 16th to have her tumor removed.

My vet does not claim to be an exotic in fact I kind of threw him into it(he is my dog vet and one day I said hey "I need a rat tumor removed can you help me?"), so it is actually my fault he does not know much about them but he really does try and has one of Debbie D's rat health care books, that he purchased on his own.

I go to him because the so called "exotic" that is local is a complete jerk and told me a spay was a waste of money.

At least Dr. Cody "non-exotic" agrees a spay would be beneficial he just does not feel comfortable taking that chance with my girls when he does not know what he is doing in that aspect. But Dr. Cody has done several successful tumor removals and one neuter for me in the past and I trust that Rose will be okay once we have the tumor removed. If not we will go from there.

Sorry Melissa,

My tangent was intended for the exotic vet and not your dog's vet. I won't attack a vet who doesn't claim to be an exotic vet. I know from my vet that there is a difference in their specialties and that a good dog vet may not have any knowledge of pocket pets. It is when they call themselves "exotic" vets that gets me riled. They may be exotic in their own, feeble, minds but it doesn't take a genius to recognize the benefits of spays and neuters in small animals. They only need to read a little! The so called "exotic vet" obviously hasn't done his homework and your girl is suffering as a result of his ineptitude.

Thank God your regular vet is willing to learn something new. :)

lilspaz68 said:
Don't worry Melissa, Fidget was taking digs at your so-called "exotic" vet...not your regular vet :)

I am glad to hear she is doing so well :thumbup:

Amazing! How does Fidget accomplish these things???

Has she actually managed the impressive feat of posting on this thread without my being able to see it? :laugh4:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:D :stickpoke: :hugs: :bunnydance: :laugh4: :thumbup: :heart: :cheeky: :wink:

Back