Vaginal bleeding in a spayed girl? *Post-surgery Update*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SoA - You must have a very good vet that she's confident exploratory surgery will be ok. I hope if there is a problem she can fix it for Hazel.
Let us know when she is going to have her surgery so we can send good vibes for your very precious senior lady...

I'm starting to re-think the surgery... Hazel just seems so frail, and over the past few months she's lost a lot of weight. But, I feel like if I don't go through with it, then I won't have tried everything and will have failed her :cry:

Chelsey, I don't think that... there comes a time when you have to ask yourself what is better? I've never liked the idea of exploratory surgery.

I think you've done plenty for your girl. I'd stick with meds, unless you see that she is in obvious pain or discomfort.

After much thinking, I've decided to go through with the surgery. I'd rather try and fail, than not try at all. I decided against the surgery for a little while because it seemed the discharge had cleared up, but she was just grooming it away before I saw her. I spotted some dried stuff on her a couple days ago, so that sealed the deal on whether or not to go through with it.

I'm taking her in now, she'll have the surgery around noon, and then I'll pick her up after 3 PM.

Wish us luck! :heart:

I just called and the receptionist said she's doing great and is ready to be picked up! I'm off to get her now, and to hear if anything/what was found.

Well, the news is so-so. :-\

Here's what my vet wrote:

Hazel had abdominal adhesions, most likely related to her spay procedure. Adhesions are an unfortunate, but common complication of abdominal surgery. Hazel's adhesions were around the colon, most likely causing her abdominal discomfort. The adhesions were broken down today, hopefully alleviating her discomfort; they may, however, recur. The discharge cannot be explained by the abdominal findings.

Hard to know how to feel about that...

For the stump infection, my vet told me there's no way to find that unless you cut into the stump during a post mortem. So that could still be the reason.

Did you observe her to be in pain before?

She seemed to be in pain when Dr. Nugent palpated her abdomen a week or so ago. Besides that, not at all. She's been acting the same as always - last night she was bouncing around like a mad woman.

She said there was just a big glob of fibrous tissue around Hazel's colon. Hazel had a lump removed from her neck earlier this year, which turned out to be a fibroma. Maybe she's prone to those kind of things? :?

Back