URI??? New Question!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

So Poppy is still making strange noises on and off. :sad3: The weird clicking noise seems to come from more her head then her chest. I know someone said to check, but I dont know what it then means. But now I can clearly see her whole head and tummy move with each click/breath. Which is making me very nervous, especially as I have to leave her on Tuesday for a week for a family wedding in Iowa. They always pick the best times to scare you dont they. :gaah:

Luckily an old friend of mine is a vet, so I was able to sweet talk my way into an appointment this afternoon, even though they normally refer small animals to the (really great) clinic an hour away. So does the breathing head movement thing sound like shes sick? If I know what to ask them to look for and what meds whould be appropriate, I could probably get them made up for her. I just dont know what to ask for, to I turn to all of you in your infinite wisdom :bow: :bow: :bow: I was up all night fussing and worrying, I feel like this :panic:

OceanEyes117 said:
So Poppy is still making strange noises on and off. :sad3: The weird clicking noise seems to come from more her head then her chest. I know someone said to check, but I dont know what it then means. But now I can clearly see her whole head and tummy move with each click/breath. Which is making me very nervous, especially as I have to leave her on Tuesday for a week for a family wedding in Iowa. They always pick the best times to scare you dont they. :gaah:

Luckily an old friend of mine is a vet, so I was able to sweet talk my way into an appointment this afternoon, even though they normally refer small animals to the (really great) clinic an hour away. So does the breathing head movement thing sound like shes sick? If I know what to ask them to look for and what meds whould be appropriate, I could probably get them made up for her. I just dont know what to ask for, to I turn to all of you in your infinite wisdom :bow: :bow: :bow: I was up all night fussing and worrying, I feel like this :panic:

It sounds to me as if Poppy could be suffering from an URI!

Who will be taking care of her while you are gone? If she does have an URI, she will need her meds daily!

Is her cage in a drafty area?

A friend will be taking care of her, and I will show them how to give her the meds if she is indeed sick. Her cage isnt really in a drafty area. Right now it is in my room. Sometimes I have my window open but she isnt in direct flow from the window. Do you know what I should have the vet look for and what meds would be appropriate?

I wanna learn too!... What should we listen and feel for? And should just Baytril be ok? Is there anything I else I should ask for if it doesnt sound good? Thank you so much fpr all your help guys. I would be so lost and scared without you!

If it sounds really bad, then I'd go with Baytril and Doxy. But if the vet doesn't hear anything that serious, you can try just doxy or just Baytril.

OK I will do that! A side question. I have been talking with the rescue that I got Poppy from and she has offered to give me some meds to have on hand, like Doxy and Baytril. :bunnydance: It is 3 hours away up where I go to school, so I will be getting them in a few weeks when I head back up there for school. Is there anything I else I should ask her for?

I dont know as I wont be picking up the meds from the rescue for a few weeks. I will make sure both she and the vet I see today tell me the concentrations.

I think there's a thread on here somewhere about a ratty First Aid kit and what people have in it. I always feel more secure when I have on hand a little bit of Metacam, Lasix, unopened Clavamox and/or Zithromax along with some Baytril

Quick question. I got a 10 day course of the Baytril. On the bottle it says 2.2 mg/ml. She said to add 10 cc's of apple juice to the Baytril and then give .5 ml 2x daily. Only problem is that we didnt have apple juice at home like expected. Can I use pineapple juice? Its 100% juice...

Pineapple juice is the one juice I'd be cautious about; it interacts with a number of medications. You could always dilute it with soy milk or Rice Dream. I also add mashed banana or a bit of baby cereal once I've measured out the medication. If they think it's a treat you will have no trouble getting your ratty to take it.

How much does your rat weigh?

I would mix the medication with water, and as Godmother said then your individual doses with a little bit of something tasty so she just eats it up. I use baby cereal for my guys.

I sometimes freeze my Ensure in icecube trays to prevent the loss after 2 days.

Could you not ask your vet to use more concentrated baytril? Mine vet uses 50 mg/ml.

Plus 10 days isn't a long enough course, it should be 14 days minimum.

You could double the strength, by using half the amount of fluid assuming that it is in powder form or is it in pills you need to crush?

I have seen 10 mg pills, 22.7 mg pills, 50 mg pills, but never 2.2 mg pills...

That would be the correct concentration if that's what they gave..

I don't know how much Poppy weighs, but according to my calculations if she weighed in around 250g, .57cc would be the low dose at a concentration of 2.2mg/ml.. If the vet feels that Poppy wasn't very bad off, this would be okay. OceanEyes, did you notice how much Poppy weighed? Giving them too low of a dose can actually do more harm than good, so double checking dosages is a common practice.

She weighs just over 10 oz, which is like 283.5 grams. There was a 15 cc bottle with a tiny amount of fluid (the Baytril) at the bottom, she told me to add 10 ccs of liquid and give .5 ml 2x daily. I ended up adding ensure because it was getting late and I wanted to get the meds in her and it said it had to be kept refrigerated anyway and I figured it would taste better then water... So next time I'll know to add water

Back