URGENT: Violet is in a hole in the wall!!! Update: Captured

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TafDaiJelVio

Violet has climbed into a 2in by 2in hole under the closet in my dorm and has been there for an hour and a half! I can't reach her or. Coax her out with any treats, even chocolate! What do I do? :(((

One of my girls, Lola, got herself stuck between the dishwasher and the top of the counter. I couldn't get my hand in there to get her out and she wouldn't come out. I had to use two salad spoons to get her out. I put them in and pulled her out. It wasn't pretty, but got the job done. Or maybe make the hole bigger. It would cause damage which sucks but might help get her out.

The hole is at an upward angle so she's hard to reach but I'm going to try the spoon idea. If I cause damage I will get massively fined and possibly kicked out of school

I'm assuming you can see her - and I'm also assuming she can go deeper into the wall if she wants to? I have no idea what to do expect leave food out if the spoon thing doesn't work and hope and pray she gets hungry. Does she have cage mates? Perhaps if she can hear/smell them she will come out - put their cage on the floor. Poor girl - praying you get her out.

Is she STUCK, or just being a little turd and refusing to come out?
If you continue to try coaxing her out, she may just come out on her own. However, I would be worried that she gets in deeper and gets stuck, or even chews her way up there. I would say try to make the hole larger- it was there anyways, right? Maybe no one will notice.

Just continue offering different foods, maybe not something she can grab. Try mashed up fruit or yogurt on a spoon. Let her lick some off wherever she is, and then pull it away slowly until you can grab her by the chest or scruff. Just be gentle....

Also, I forgot to add, sometimes my rats think it's super funny to tease me by refusing to come out, or coming out just until I reach for them-- and then scurrying back into wherever they were hiding. It's a pain in the butt, but if you are SURE she can't get more stuck or get in deeper, you might just try ignoring her and waiting.

If you put a small container with a little blanket and some food and water, she will probably go into it in the night. If her cage isnt too big, put it nearby so that she'll be attracted back to her cagemates.

It's a scary time for sure. Best solution is to beg, borrow or steal a small Havaheart trap, attach a small water bottle to the mesh, and bait it with dry oatmeal.

Good luck! Kept us posted. I once had a nail-biting 36 hours waiting for a scared young rat emerge from her hiding place, but she did in the end.

After 3 hours of waiting and attempting to nab her with a spoon I called my vet. She said turn off all of the lights in the room except for a flashlight behind the cage and leave. So I left and got dinner and came back and she was out in the little corral I had set up and had stuffed her face with the treats that were left as offerings. I also spilled hot soup all down my arm trying to grab her before she made it back to the hole, but the rat is in her cage! Priorities, right?

The hole in the wall has since been stuffed with a loofah (it was all I could spare for the deed).

She does not have cage mates because she is so timid she will starve herself out before she'll move from the corner of an inhabited cage and was getting so severely beaten up my vet recommended putting her in her own cage and having supervised play time in neutral territory. Which is what was happening until she got powergroomed and ran away.
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I will never understand the magic that got that fat rat into such a tiny hole. :)

So glad she came out! I'm sorry about your arm, I've done similar things such as dropping a plate full of food to catch a rat that was sliding off my shoulder. LOL

I saw a program once on rats that said if their head can fit then they can get their body in too. Although, I look at some of my ratties and think NO FREAKIN' way that is going to happen. So I don't know if that is true or not. Glad you got her back. :thumbup:

so glad you got her out! nothing worse than a stubborn rat that won't come to you. my two Dumbos, when they have out time, like to get up on top of their big three story cage and go to the far corner where I can't reach them. I have to get up on a step stool, and even then I can't reach all the way to that corner. I had to take a back scratcher and get them that way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

dspch911, I know it's not true that if the rat's head fits then the body will as well. Glen, my slender Dumbo, can fit his head through his cage bars, but he can't find his body through. when I first got him he was able to squeeze through. I had to keep him for a few weeks in a big plastic storage bin until he got big enough so that he could no longer squeeze out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Back