URGENT Tail Stripped to the bone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one of the reason I stopped using those wheels. The main reason, I had a baby playing in the back while the other went for a run, almost decapitated the one playing in the back. It was a heart attack moment.

I use them for most of my rats for years now and have never even had a tail pinch...yes those babies getting clunked on the head as they try to dive on, makes me wince too.

I think its one of those things, like a rat who degloves their tail by something in their cage. :scratch:

The only wheels that you used to be able to get here where the ones with the vertical bars in them (like the bars on the cage). Id never seen a mesh wheel like the ones most of you use until i joined here lol. Its one of the reasons why my rats never had a wheel until i found the Wodent Wheel.

The wheels with vertical bars were renowned for getting tail and feet trapped in them ><

*shudder* I hope that if this ever happens to any of my guys that someone is around to catch me

In my honest opinion i wouldnt get a wheel for any rat. Rats spines are arched in a convex way, and to run on the wheel they have to stretch and strain thier back to turn concave (unnatural for a rat). Wheels are ok for tiny mice (who dont need to stretch thier spine) or hamsters (thier spine is more straight.)

ratwheel.jpg
- My wheel is a giant like that one. The way it's done looks like it but it's not that one. Would it be dangerous? I took it because it's mostly closed. Tail can't go anywhere behind where the thing spins.

that's actually the more preferred wheel because it's solid so toes can't get caught and there are no obstructions for them to get their tails caught or anything.

And wheels are ok for rats as long as they are the right size. The one that came with my super pet cage is really good for rats because it's large enough for them to use without having to curve their spines. The girl's wheel was a bit smaller which is actually the reason echo curls her tail in the first place.

That exact thing happened to my Boogie. The skin fell off like that, and we rusehd her to the vet right away. They did a good job amputating the bone, so her tail was a good as new.

No worries, just hurry to the vet and everything will be fine. :) Boogie was in so much pain, but after the surgery, she was acting as if nothing had ever happened.

Do you realize that this thread is now two weeks old? The rat has long past been through surgery, and the OP even posted about the types of wheels you should avoid. Its often a good idea to bother reading other posts in the thread before you respond.

Pink

Back