URGENT Tail Stripped to the bone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

****! echo was running in the wheel and she curls her tail and her tail got caught in the "gear" where the wheel is attached to the frame (standard wire wheel nothing complex) and it stripped the tip of her tail to the bone. I put pressure on it and put on some triple antibiotic ointment after calling the E vet in Gainsville but IDK what to do, I have no money and no car and I don't want her to go untreated.

I still have her tail too, like, the skin and it looks like it could be slid right back on but idk if that would be wise on my part. I'm freaking out right now and this is all very horrible

DSC00061.jpg

Its called degloving, and she should be ok.

You can read more at http://ratguide.com/health/wounds/degloving_injury.php

I would recommend taking her to the vet in the morning for preventative antibiotics, if your vet feels they are necessary. Metacam would help her feel a lot better.

Wheels like the super pet comfort wheel, and the silent spinner don't have central axles. I would recommend investing in one.

Sorry this isn't a more informative post, it is quite late. Give your girl some kisses and hugs from me.

Pink

Pink said:
Its called degloving, and she should be ok.

You can read more at http://ratguide.com/health/wounds/degloving_injury.php

I would recommend taking her to the vet in the morning for preventative antibiotics, if your vet feels they are necessary. Metacam would help her feel a lot better.

Wheels like the super pet comfort wheel, and the silent spinner don't have central axles. I would recommend investing in one.

Sorry this isn't a more informative post, it is quite late. Give your girl some kisses and hugs from me.

Pink

Oh thank god! the site says the degloved tip will fall off. I was thinking about that, wondering if with just some antibiotic ointment and maybe some meds from the vet if it would all heal without having to do anything major like amputation or something. The vet opens at 9 which is in about an hour so i'll call them and explain everything and see if they'll just give me a prescription (to avoid visitation costs) They've done it for baytril but i'm not sure if they will now because the vet that worked with rodents killed herself. Wish me luck

I would definately try and take the rat to the vet. Id worry too much about possible infection. Surely thats classed as an open wound, and with it being on the tail, it would come in to contact with a lot of nasties

Well I took her to the vet, my mom paid with her card and I have to pay her back.

Vet suggested amputation of the tip would be best, so, to keep things as low cost as she could, she used a little gas and charged me as a sedation instead of anesthetizing. They cut the tip and for some stupid reason, put a stitch in the end, she said she was gonna cauterize it but she put a stitch in that I know echo's gonna eventually chew off. but the vet said if she does do that, it'll still heal fine. She also gave me some Baytril otic to put on it twice a day.

AND as a bonus, she snuck an antibiotic shot in without anyone knowing so I wasn't charged for that <3

Total cost: $106.93

No idea how i'm gonna come up with it but at least she's ok now.

Ah what a relief! Im glad you managed to sort it.
I think i would have fainted if id saw my rats tail like that. You have handled it very well lol.

You should have had a vet fund saved up for emergencies such as this. It is very important for everyone to have atleast 200$/rat saved up in a find. Thank god shes ok. You should always have money when owning rats. Very important.

Christie said:
You should have had a vet fund saved up for emergencies such as this. It is very important for everyone to have atleast 200$/rat saved up in a find. Thank god shes ok. You should always have money when owning rats. Very important.

Normally I would have but I'm in the process of moving and money is extremely tight. Echo was actually one of the three girls I was trying to find homes for *faint*

I had a tail and a toe amp where they put a stitch in. :) She will chew it out herself :)

One thing that amazes me is the extreme pain they were in, then you remove the injured bit, and they are good again :)

I know, aside from being a bit groggy from the gas, she seems much happier, and she only tried to chew on it right when she woke up, now she leaves it alone and seems to be more "animated"

Yeah, I guess this is not only a lesson for me, but a good lesson for everyone about those wire mesh wheels. It's not only the mesh you have to worry about, it's the frame for the wheel too!

wheel.jpg

Back