URGENT rat in distress! *R.I.P Pingu*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

My rat has fallen ill suddenly. I called the vet quickly and get her in today. The only meds they had for her are amoxil and baytril.

She is now on .15cc of liquid baytril (which smells like nail polish remover and she gagged when i gave it to her :sad3: ) and .2cc of amoxil

Her nose is purple, her feet are blue and she has rapid breathing. The vet said her temp is a little low.

She is VERY lathargic, eyes closed not interested in her surroundings, wont even eat or drink.

How can i keep her alive while the meds are doing the work? How can i encourage her to drink??? Iam making some jell o , maybe the sweetness will encourage her.

She is only 1yr2months old :sad3:

*Pingu passed away today when i came home from the stables, i believe it was a heart attack. My mum was suprised because only 1minute ago she was eating and walking around and the next i found her in her bed :cry3: *

R.I.P Pingu, you were my favourite rat :sad3:

sausage4ever said:
Go to your local E-vet!! They will help, t will cost you an arm and a leg but they will help.

They are the E-Vets, i am visiting my family and they live in a tiny town, i was suprised they had baytril in liquid, last time i had to chop tablets into quarters and they didnt even have amoxil at that time.

Has anyone delt with pure liquid baytril? should i mix some sugar or water in the dose to make it not so strong tasting?

I feel so bad for her, she just stays still so she doesnt have to breathe harder, but for living here this is all i can do medication wise, anything at home i can do to help her breathing? what foods can i help her with? When it comes to grabbing for straws, should i forcer her to drink water?

Does the baytril smell very alcohol-y? Sounds like you were given injectable.

You could mix it into strawberry syrup to sweeten it.

keep her warm, offer her water in a syringe or Ensure is even better.

lilspaz68 said:
Does the baytril smell very alcohol-y? Sounds like you were given injectable.

You could mix it into strawberry syrup to sweeten it.

keep her warm, offer her water in a syringe or Ensure is even better.

Yes i think she did give me the injectable solution, i heard its ok to give to rats orally, but its better to mix it with something. My mum is going out shopping so ill get some ensure.

She attempts to eat but ends up holding it in her mouth and just sitting there.

The vet recommend i dont give her both medications, to just stick with baytril, but i feel i should nip this attack in the butt and use both medications, should i stick with one and see? I dont think she has much time and i dont want to waste it. (this is the vets first rat and didnt even know baytril and amoxil was good for them until i showed her the medication chart)

I mix the baytril (etc) with a drop or two of strawberry quick, a drop of olive oil, a drop or two of water and some baby cereal to thinken it.
She may lick it off your finger or you can syringe feed it to her (no needle on the syringe), into the side of her mouth one drop at a time. Since the baby food thickens it a bit, it will not run out the side of her mouth.

My rats think it is a wonderful treat.

Is she dehydrated?
If so she needs sub-Q fluids.
Since she is blue, she is not getting enough oxygen and they should have put her in an oxygen tank.

Keep your sweetie warm and hydrated. It might be too far progressed for the meds to work... but there's always hope. I'd try both meds.
And big hugs for you.

SQ said:
If she starts having problems breathing, I hope that you will be able to find a vet to have her humanely pts.
:hugs:

I hope so too, i hate seeing her like this, but my chances are slim. When my mum had pishy (dumbo) she was ready to put her down, pishy was not at all well. It was a week day and the vets wouldnt see her, they said they were too busy and try back in two days :redhot: So she had to go to this other clinic that hates small animals (they dont allow rats in to be treated) and they said she had to leave the clinic for 30mins and then come back (makes you wonder how they put her down)

Try to put the meds in something she might find interesting. Cool whip, mashed avocado, babyfood,...even canned cat food if you have to. If you can find something she'll try and eat, then you can get the meds in her easier. Though at this stage, you might have to just go for the syringe method and try giving it in syrup, apple juice, something to hide the flavor a little, and give it slowly. Maybe a little, then gently rub her throat until she swallows it, then try again.

Sounds like you don't have too many options like subq's, a nebulizer or oxygen. You can go into the bathroom, shut the door, turn the shower on hot, and let the room fill up with steam. Hold her on your lap or a counter on a towel and just pet her and keep her calm. The steamy room can help.

You can also try giving her a tiny piece of chocolate. Dark chocolate is preferable, but chocolate about the size of a half a chocolate chip. Chocolate can help as a bronchialdialator and help open up her airways. Rats are not like dogs and will not die from a bit of chocolate. You don't want to just give it to them all the time...but in a case like this..I've seen it really help.

The most important thing, is not to stress, and try not to stress her too much either.

Hope that helps. Do keep us posted.

My Momma rattakiss Sonora and the only surviving girl Whisper have the same affliction that Pengu had. :cry3: Pengu was Whispers sister. Saraphina and Allie were siblings and are gone now as well. :cry: Why are my girls getting sick and dying and not the boys? Also Delilah ( not related)is almost 2 years old and she runs rings aroundall of them!!. :shock: Any suggestions?

I'm so sorry. :sad3: :hugs: I'm concerned though because if the other rats have the same thing now, it was not a heart condition that Pingu had, as that is not contagious. I would get theo ther two to the vet ASAP.

I don't think it's a heart issue either. I have had them to the vets and they have been on meds for weeks with little or no improvement. Whisper seems to have more energy now but they are both painfully thin depite all the baby food,apple sauce and softer foods I have given them. I think that they are going to leave me soon. Why just the girls? :cry:

I'm sooo sorry you are going through this. :sad3: This is sooo strange. What symptoms are these girls showing?? For how long?

Are the girls separated from the boys? If so, that's probably why it's only the girls. Keep boys far away from the sick girlies. :(

Back