URGENT: Depressed after brother's death

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OneTimeAngel

Hi guys, please help.
Yesterday morning one of my two boys passed. I found the other (Oliver) lying next to him, shaking. After I moved the brother, I held Oliver for about two hours, and the whole time he had trouble walking or moving his tail and just constantly shook. I eventually put him back in his cage and when I returned about three hours later, he was curled up in a corner of the cage. I am absolutely devastated about the loss of my rat, but right now I'm worried about Oliver.
They were both close to two years old but always active and happy. Now Oliver barely moves and seems to struggle walking. My parents are against getting another rat, so I need help on how to care for Oliver and what to do to help him.

I'm sorry for the sudden loss of your boy. In light of not being able to get another rat, firstly if he doesn't snap out of this behaviour inside of a day I'd take him to the vet just to be sure. Otherwise, in lieu of a rat partner you'll have to fill in as much as possible. I'm afraid I dont have a whole lot more to offer in the way of advice, I just didn't want you to feel alone. Hugs.

I'm sorry for the sudden loss of your boy. In light of not being able to get another rat, firstly if he doesn't snap out of this behaviour inside of a day I'd take him to the vet just to be sure. Otherwise, in lieu of a rat partner you'll have to fill in as much as possible. I'm afraid I dont have a whole lot more to offer in the way of advice, I just didn't want you to feel alone. Hugs.
Thank you. I appreciate everything you said. Unfortunately, Oliver passed away a few hours after this in his sleep. I'm completely heartbroken by the loss of both within two days.

Oh no, I'm so sorry!! Poor babies, how old were they? Was the first boy sick?
They were both 1 1/2. I didn't notice anything unusual in the days before he passed, although I did notice he seemed to be acting older pretty quickly. I'm going over everything to see if there's something I could have done :(

Back