(Updated) Sneezes and Sounds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel

Hey everyone!

Things have been going well with my two lovely little rat ladies, however, wee little Pea seems to be having some troubles.

I've noticed,around one eye,a lot of Porphyrin. I first noticed a small amount when she first arrived, but wasn't concerned as I attributed it to stress. Now there is quite a bit, and though it is fresh ( so I know she is cleaning herself), I'm becoming concerned on what to do. It's not tearing up in the eye, but it is on her fur.I've also noticed her sneezing quite often.

Here are some general specs on the cage and surroundings:

I use a fleece and paper bedding
Toys are wood parrot toys/cardboard
All hammocks and things are fleece
I have cleaned the cage yesterday by completely switching over the bedding and washing the bottom( I have yet to wash/ switch out the hammocks and things). i used a very dilute solution of dish soap, then vinegar, then hot water.
They are far from windows and have a solid wall behind the cage.
The cage is resting on carpet floor

Maybe something is in the carpet? I'm unsure. It's not a food issue because they have always been on regal rat, and I've limited treats. Bea seems to be doing perfectly.

PEaches specs:
A lot of sneezing
Poyrphyrin,fresh, around one eye
Clear breathing
Healthy paws and body

Could someone give me a clue? Little Pea will thank you!

I've now noticed Bea sneezing, and I'm worried they have an upper respiratory problem. Any thoughts? I'm becoming really concerned with the two of them sneezing so much.

Mmm, any new pets in the home? New fragrances or smoke? New laundry detergent?
If you can't pinpoint any triggers, it might be time for a vet check.
The porphyrin around one eye can mean a blocked tear duct. But I've had a couple of rats over the years have a leaky eye and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to stop.

Well, the problem may be that they have only been with me since last Wednesday,not yet a week. I'm wondering if my perfume has bothered them at all, or if the carpet just needs a good vacuuming. I noticed the sneezing isn't as frequent when they are meandering about my dressers and such. I'm going to give the place a good vacuum and dusting to see if that helps. I just don't know what would of caused all this in such a short time span. I think I may have a chat with the lady I rescued these two from.

Just washed up all the girls hammocks,vacuumed and washed the cage over again. We'll see how that helps!

I have a couple boys that had the porphyrin staining and a humdifier has helped them. That is what the vet told us to do.

Currently can't put a humiider in the room, but I've now placed a wet towel over the radiator to sort of mimic it. My room is dry, so maybe their noses are dry, I've read that can be a concern. As it turning outs, Pea's porphyrin is just a common concern for her, so now I am glad to say it may not bean infection. However, if tis bit with the rad doesn't work....I'll just have to take a vet visit.

Alright, so I turned down mommy panic mode and the girls had begun doing better. Pea's Porph problem is gone,and they have been as busy and happy as ever. Still sneezing though not as often,and today- during their regular checks- Pea is making a ...honking sound.

Not wheezing, her breathing pattern is normal, as far as I can tell she is eating and drinking just fine. The honking isn't loud, I can only just hear it in the right spot. It isn't even quite honking.More... the sound of joints rubbing together.I can't find any info on the sound and am hoping someone can help!

Though thank you, Jorats and dspch911, for helping so far!

I think I know what sound you are talking about. About 10 years ago, I was on another forum, a Quebec forum and they talked about this very light noise the dominant rats would make, like a faint grinding noise but it's definitely not their teeth... if that's the sound, then there's nothing to worry about. I'm glad they are adjusting and doing well.

Really? That is what it sounds like, to a capital T, so I'm very glad it's nothing to worry about! Who'd have thought little Pea would be the dominant lady... What a doll <3

Thank you jorats! Very much appreciated, I was worried I was going to have to take them to a vet,which would probably only make things worse considering the freezing weather in my area atm. Thanks again!

Glad to hear they are doing fine.. I had a hamster that barked like a dog - now that was strange..... Silverado barked at us especially when he wanted our attention he was a character... :laugh4:

Back