Update.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

A few of you have known of Elphie and Brie since their second owner posted about them on the other forum for adoption a good year and a half ago (?), so I thought given you're all rat lovers you'd want to know this.

You're all familiar with the trouble I've had with these two sisters in terms of their fights, and how they were upgraded to an FN in August. The fighting started up again earlier this week. I've been treating minor cuts and constantly wake up to hear them going at it.

Tonight around nine was no different, the same flurry of sound, but as usual I checked anyway. Brie had Elphie on her back but something was horribly wrong. Elphie's jaw was...I don't know how to describe it...grotesquely ascew? Her teeth were diagnol to the top incisors and the gums were bleeding.

I live in Guelph now, an hour away from Toronto where my family lives, and more importantly, my father, a vet. I immediately called my boyfriend and he drove over and we rushed her to Toronto to my place. My dad says the jaw is either dislocated or broken. If it's the latter, we have no choice but to put her down.

I can't begin to explain the mixed feelings I have, but the biggest feeling is frustration. I hated Brie, I'll admit it, after she tore up Elphie this summer. Now she may have killed her perfectly healthy (otherwise) sister. And there's just no excuse for it!!

Given we got to Toronto around 11:30 pm I won't know a thing until tomorrow when they can x-ray her and do whatever they do with a freaking dislocated jaw. I'm hoping that's what it is. That means she might live.

Please keep Elphie in your thoughts. :(

I'm back in Guelph now due to classes both my boyfriend and I have tomorrow morning but we brought back my Golden Retriever. Nothing like a big slurp to make things a little better.

Edit: I forgot my avatar is Brie. That's gonna change.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. But you have to remember, these are animals. You don't know if it was Brie that damaged Elphie. Elphie could have fallen before hand. All kinds of things can happen.

I really hope that Elphie can be treated. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Oh god, that's awful... poor you and Elphie.. I really hope she pulls through.. Do let us know.

As Jo says, she may have just fallen and Brie didn't actually cause that injury... but then again, Brie could've been the reason Elphie fell.

My best wishes and warm hugs are with you and your girls... fingers crossed Elphie will be ok xxxxx

Accidents happen, and I don't think Brie would be capable of breaking a jaw bone. :( I wouldn't be surprised if Elphie had something "wrong" with her and Brie was being instinctual and trying to drive her away from her colony with the harrassment. My bet is Elphie fell and hurt herself.

I really hope little Elphie is okay, and the xray comes back "not broken". :(

I'm so sorry Bronwyn!!

Thanks so much guys. The reason I thought it was Brie is simply because five minutes beforehand when I last checked on them everyone was fine, so I stuck around and watched them and the fight occurred on the bottom level. I agree it seems rather impossible for a rat to break another's bone but I can't work it out any other way since I was there and she didn't fall.

Still anxiously waiting! :( She's such a sweet little rat, it's sad how things like this happen. Fine one moment, and the next you're faced with the possiblity of putting them down.

Just to put these girls into further context, I just stumbled upon Tequilasmom's post about her boys. I'm fairly sure Brie and Elphie's brothers (and father?) are in that post. Crazy world! For those new to these girls Kristen adopted them out to a woman who simply had too much on her hands and I adopted them from her.

I'm literally sitting by the phone here, waiting. So much for schoolwork today!

With no further mishaps after the purchase of the FN (though the fights started up again about a week ago) university's kept me busy but man did I miss this place. I almost snuck in a post just before leaving for Toronto, heh. The Rat Shack would understand! ;)

Okay, 10:42...it doesn't take long to develop an x-ray! *pacing the floor*

:bliss: :bliss: :bliss: :bliss:

My baby girl is okay!! They put her out this morning and put her jaw back into place and she's eating and everything andomg!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I was so sure I'd never see her again, it was such a quiet car trip last night.

She's been sent home with yet more ointment to keep the wounds from Brie clean...what on EARTH do I do with these two? I swear my hair looks a little greyer from waiting all morning!

:grouphug:

What should I be feeding her, or rather tell my parents to feed her since she's still in Toronto? I'm sure mashed banana would work but that sure doesn't cover all her needs, hehe.

They have a single FN, so division wouldn't be easy. :(

I'm sooooo happy to hear the news!!!

Division would be possible if you can find another level, and put it directly in the same spot as the other level. Or maybe something else, maybe like coroplast or plexiglass?

Maybe you could divide them when you aren't around and let them be together when you are?

Baby cereal, baby food etc...nice soft easy to lick up stuff rather than anything she has to chew. Keep her regular food in there and you will know she's feeling better when she attempts eating it. :)

G'luck lil Elphie!

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I live right behind a grocery store so I'll load up on baby food. I have oatmeal in packets but there's so much sugar in there. : x

Jo, that division idea is fantastic. I'll start looking around for material!

It deeply disturbs me that this pretty much happened under my nose. But then again when they're loose they don't pay attention to each other so this might work. :D

Edit: I thought this was sort of funny...ever since they got the FN they show little interest in playing outside the cage. I have to pick them up and force them to roam. : P Very different considering pre-August they were mostly free range. I think they like the cage. ;)

Back