Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistermonday

I have some bad news and some not so bad news. The not so bad news is that i am 85% sure Jackie is pregnant. She has gotton huge these past 3 days. She is nesting and doesn't really like being disturbed. I say this is not so bad news because I have worse news.
Sally isn't doing to well. When I first got her she was lively and excited and healthy. Now she just sits in one spot for hours. And when she isn't doing that she is guarding the food bowl. If other rats want to eat out of it she doesn't put up a fight , she is just always half way in the bowl. When I go to pet her she puts her head farther down into the bowl. her eyes aren't really watery but her ears are always down now. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could she be depressed because she senses that Jackie is pregnant? Any comments or help will be appreciated.

p.s. Jackie is now in her own cage , which she is nesting feverishly .

Here is sally who i think may be sick , notice how her stomach looks strange?

IMG_2423.jpg

I think I'd get Sally to a vet asap. That tummy doesn't' look good like that. And from how you describe her, I'd think she is sick.

Yes, she sounds very very sick.
Hope you can get her to a vet that knows about rats tomorrow.
Like Jorats said, her stomach does not look ok.

I took Sally to the vet and he could not find anything wrong with her. He said that in the picture maybe just the way she positioned herself made it look that way. He said to keep an eye on her for a couple of days and if anything new happens to bring her back in for more in depth testing . He also said that she may also be pregnant . Based on the above photo. But he doubts it. I hope she isn't because Jackie is ready to pop as it is! I will keep you posted

Did the vet palpate Sally? and he couldn't feel any babies in her and no tumors? He couldn't feel anything? You showed the vet the picture?

yeah , i went to wal mart and printed the photo out and showed it to him. and then he looked at sally examined her listened with the stethoscope and felt her from top to bottom . he said "there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with this rat" he said he didn't feel any babies , but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

These two were cagemates, right? What are the chances of her just being upset at having lost her cagemate to a maternity cage?

That is exactly what I was thinking. So my brother brought her over for a play date, since my rats and her get along good together , thats when she got depressed .

Well the good news is Sally is not sick , the bad news , she is pregnant. :doh:
Jackies babies are not even a week old , and now Mistermonday has to deal with another "oops" litter . I am never letting him buy pet store rats again!

My heart goes out to you. That's a lot to take on so suddenly. The mama does all the work for the first couple of weeks but, when the babies get mobile, they become amazing pooping machines and escape artists. It is a good thing that you will have a couple of weeks to get mentally prepared.

Hope you have some friends or nearby Forum members who have a case of GGMR!

Sally had her babies this morning at around 5:30am. She had 14!!! They are all alive and well , and sally is taking good care of them , and even better she trust me enough to hold them and she isnt a biter thankfully. That means all together I have 24 rats. :doh: 22 of them being babies!

Mistermonday said:
Sally had her babies this morning at around 5:30am. She had 14!!! They are all alive and well , and sally is taking good care of them , and even better she trust me enough to hold them and she isnt a biter thankfully. That means all together I have 24 rats. :doh: 22 of them being babies!

OMG.....that is a lot of babies....You are going to be very busy......Good luck I hope you can keep some if not all.

Back