UPDATE regarding my gal's non-eye, tumor and NEED FOR FINDING A VET IN CENTRAL OHIO

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffmarie

It is quite obviously a tumor growing. In literally the last 24 hours, it has morphed in to something that looks like it belongs from another planet. It's "blobby" (as you can see in the photos). The only thing that makes me feel semi-hopeful about it being benign is that it's not dark in color. However, the severe irregularity in shape has me just as equally concerned. We know we need to get her in to the vet and that's where I'm REALLY hoping someone in here can help me. I live just outside of Columbus, OH. Oddly, it's been stupid hard trying to find a vet that knows what they're talking about when it comes to rats. You'd think that living near a big city would afford us the luxury of multiple great vets in that department...not so much. In fact, we haven't had any luck with it at all. And the vet that we saw most recently charged us hundreds of dollars for everything our simple office visit required so in all honesty, I don't see how we could afford to go back there for something like this (surgery/testing/etc).

DOES ANYONE WITHIN 1.5HRS OF COLUMBUS KNOW OF AN INEXPENSIVE VET THAT WE CAN GET THIS TUMOR DEALT WITH AT?? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ASSIST ME WITH ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE BECAUSE WE ARE DESPERATE TO GET THIS TAKEN CARE OF BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO/AREN'T EVEN CLOSE TO WEALTHY! I'M SO WORRIED ABOUT HOW WE ARE GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS...SO MANY UNFORESEEN EXPENSES RECENTLY :/

As for her non-eye, it's exceptionally swollen today but it's not that rare to see it this bad so these photos are a pretty fair depiction of how it seems to go with it. Any advice is welcome.

As for Dill, our other rat I wrote about that was sick, I made Cipro medicine balls and within a few days, he's already stopped sneezing and his breathing is silent. Phew. He LOVES the medicine balls, too, so no issues there! I'm super thankful that at least one issue is being dealt with and I feel confident that he's on a good course towards eventual recovery :)

I don't know of any vets within an hour and half from columbus but about 2hrs away in marietta,OH there is a great vet (is were I take my rats) and they are pretty reasonable as far as removals...It's $44 for the visit.

Last edited:
I'm outside on my tablet and getting poor internet...is that north of Cbus? Ugg, 2hrs is pretty far. Gas money added on and would have to make two trips at least....yea, too far. Thanks though!!

It is better to have to drive that extra 1/2 hour than subject your babies to a vet that is not familiar with rats. Is there a state veterinary association listing you could check for names?
I have two different vets that I use - the one farther away is for neuters and spays. When they go for surgery, I bring my tablet and just hang out in the area instead of driving home. If they know you will be waiting, then they can do your surgery first.

Sent text message to my Ohio rat mommy friend and this is her response:

No I'm about 3 hours from Columbus but I was on a rat whispers vet list and they have 2 in Columbus and that's where I found my vet that I like a lot. Capital veterinary referral and emergency- Dr. Barbara Olgebee and Obetz Animal Hospital - Alec Land. They are both supposed to be well known respected rat vets.

Somehow I never saw these replies and I feel terrible for not responding! Thank you all for taking the time to comment! I will look in to those vets asap and again, thank you all :) We've had a helluva past few months (lost THREE rats). One, Dill, passed away from old age :/ Matilda, our AMAZING (and Andy's "favorite") passed away from a very, very quickly progressing Uterine infection (closed...if it had been open and we'd have had more time to do something about it, we might have been able to save her but it all became apparent within, literally, a day and she passed away very violently in our hands...it was HORRIBLE) and then just a few weeks ago, we lost our Fival due to a severe respiratory infection and issues with him not reacting to antibiotics well.

Back