UPDATE - Please reply soon, before I medicate her THANK YOU!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattikins

Hi all,

So I went back and spoke with my vet.

He now has her on 0.02 ml of Baytril for one week and 0.05 ml of doxy for three weeks - both TWICE daily.

This sounds a little strong for such a little pumpkin, does it? Maybe not, he is a vet.

In order to respond, we need to know her weight and the strength of each of the meds.
Both baytril and doxy are given twice a day.
And if they are helping, both of the meds need to be given for at least 4 weeks - 6 weeks if it is for myco.

Sorry, I took for granted that you would have remembered since I just spoke about her.

She is 6 weeks old. When she was 4 weeks old she weighed 1 ounce. She appears to be twice her previous size.

Hope this helps.

Without knowing the concentration of the baytril or the doxy, it's hard to say. But I would think your vet knows. What's the mg of each med, it should be written on the bottle. I would go ahead and medicate her now, even if it's a low dose, it won't hurt her.

jorats said:
Without knowing the concentration of the baytril or the doxy, it's hard to say. But I would think your vet knows. What's the mg of each med, it should be written on the bottle. I would go ahead and medicate her now, even if it's a low dose, it won't hurt her.

The baytril says 22.7mg :?

jorats said:
Yep, the baytril is good, I doubled her weight since you said she looks twice the size, so I would think the doxy is good too.

Phew! Thanks!!

So he has the Baytril for 7 days and the Doxy for 21 days.

Does that mean that I should give her the baytril AND doxy for the first week, or the baytril alone week one and then the doxy for three weeks?

Thank you again so much!! :hugs:

I usually give the Baytril when I wake up. Then I get ready for work/school, (depends on the day) then I give the Doxy before I leave. Do the same ritual at night. I give the Baytril right after dinner, then the Doxy before bed.

Can I ask why people give their doxy and baytril separately?

I can only find this for doxycycline
However, absorption of doxycycline is impaired by calcium, magnesium, and iron containing preparations. It is recommended they be given two hours before or after giving doxycyline.

and this

Bacteriostatic tetracycline drugs may interfere with the bactericidal effect of the penicillins, cephalosporins, and the aminoglycosides. However, there continues to be discussion regarding whether this interaction is clinically significant. (Veterinary Drug Handbook, Third Edition) .

But baytril is a Fluoroquinolone.

The penicillins are;
Amoxicillin and Ampicillin, etc

The Cephalosporins are;
First generations drugs are, cephalothin, cefazolin, cephapirin, cepadrine, cephalexin, and cefadroxil.
Second generation drugs are, cefaclor, cefamandole, cefonid, ceforanide, cefuroxime (only second generation drug that crosses blood brain barrier), and the cephamycins cefotetin and cefoxitin.
Third generation drugs are, cefotaxime, moxalactam, cefoperazon, ceftiaoxime, ceftazidime, ceftriaxone, cefitofur, and cefixime. Several of the second and third generation drugs are given by routes other than oral.

and the aminoglycosides are;
Amikacin Sulfate
Gentamicin Sulfate (sometimes known as Gentocin)

Rattikins, she needs to have her meds the same amount of time (2 weeks minimum course for both)...the combined effect is much more than a single antibiotic then a change to another single antibiotic. How good is the relationship with your vet?

You might want to print this out and bring it in...

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... aytril.php

My vet recommends the wait in between meds. I can't remember the reason though... I don't think it has anything to do with med interaction but with the fact that it can be taxing on the body.

Sorry, I took for granted that you would have remembered since I just spoke about her.

It would be helpful to keep all your questions about the one rat on one thread, so everything is together and we can follow the progression of events in order. There are lots of people asking questions on here and for the people who read every post it may get confusing! :)

Re the separate dosing. I give both together, not having been given a rationale for doing it otherwise. With me it's also a practical constraint; it's hard to give meds and then get out the door for work in the morning, so I make up their meds the night before and then frig them with Saran wrap to protect them. The meds are effective. I hope it's not a problem to do this, because I don't really have another option.

So I just realized that it's just 0.02 and 0.05 for the meds, that's actually quite SMALL isn't it?

Are these drugs just very concentrated?

Thanks!

rattikins said:
So I just realized that it's just 0.02 and 0.05 for the meds, that's actually quite SMALL isn't it?

Are these drugs just very concentrated?

Thanks!

She's the one that is SMALL...I figured out the baytril at 56 grams (2 oz...which has to be wrong!) and I get a 9 mg/kg dosage of .0197 cc twice a day.

I don't know your doxy concentration to figure it out for you.

The doxy concentration is 25mg/5m or 5mg/1m

And she IS really small... how large are your 6 week olds??

Here is a photo for reference as to her small size, it's blurry but you can see her size in comparison to my Husband's hand:

Woah!! She looks more like 3 weeks of age which would account for the weight. When did you get her?

These are 5 week old babies
LinnyBellyAug20.jpg

Dilbert at 6 weeks
Dilbertcloseupat6weeks.jpg

Dilbert at 3 weeks...malnourished baby
Imsohighmommy.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
Woah!! She looks more like 3 weeks of age which would account for the weight. When did you get her?

These are 5 week old babies
LinnyBellyAug20.jpg

Dilbert at 6 weeks
Dilbertcloseupat6weeks.jpg

Dilbert at 3 weeks...malnourished baby
Imsohighmommy.jpg

YIKES! I think I may have been lied to!! This photo is SUPPOSEDLY her at 6 weeks! You should have seen her when we got her!!

This all might explain her health problems! :cry3:

But on a serious note, does the dosage sound right now?

Back