UPDATE NEW PICS---Toby STILL biting Brills tail??? pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry's_mum

Not sure what to do here guys, but i posted somewhere here before about this, but it's STILL happening, and Brill's tail is COVERED in bites/nibbles...and bloody marks, he's actually breaking skin... today Toby got him good, right at the tip, looks like he almost got it off...
POOR BRILLY....

What do i do? I've attached, some REALLY blurry pics, sorry... couldn't get it to focus properly on his tail...
Should they be seperated? i've got another cage in the shed, so it's not entirely impossible to do, but HOLEY! His poor tail is taking a beating... and i'm not sure why Toby's doing it either....

:help:

Crap that tail is being degloved which is very very bad! You are sure that Toby did this? Or did Brill catch it in the cage or Henry got him and Toby is making it worse?

Hestia had her tail partially degloved by Moth...she climbed on top of Moth's cage and Moth grabbed on hard...poor Hestia was zinging around trying to get free and the tail got almost bitten through.

Hestiastailinjuryday2-1.jpg

The tissue died and I had to have the end of her tail amputated.

Aw the poor boy. I would separate him, deglove means the skin is scraped off the tail bone? I would not wrap it, he may need surgical amputation but the end could also dry up and fall. I know others know more than me about this. I'm so sorry.

Is that the only injury on Brill? No other bite marks on him? Do you see Toby do this?
I've had a few degloved rat... these things happen. Does Brill look like he's in a lot of pain? If so, he may need to see a vet. But my experience with degloved tails, the end just shrivels and dies off by itself.

So should I seperate them or not guys?
I didn't see Toby do this one, BUT i HAVE seen him do it before, and therefore just ASSUMED he had done it to Brill...
Brill's tail is covered in bloody marks from Toby...
If I seperate them would this too stressful for Brilly, i've started him on baytril too, just incase of infection...
i've also got him on advil for pain, he only really shows pain when one of them steps on it... :doh:

Shelagh, or someone med savvy, could you work out the dose of baytril, and advil for me???

Baytril is 150mg, and Brills weight is 580g
the advil is 100mg/5ml

and again, should I seperate them???? if not i'll put all the cage stuff back together for them and leave them alone, or i'll move Brilly over...

thank you all so very much,

Baytril is 150mg, and Brills weight is 580g
the advil is 100mg/5ml

Lets see...mix 3 ml's of strawberry quick/water solution.
Crush 1 pill, add to solution, shake well.

Brill would get .12 cc twice a day

Advil is 20 mg/ml
Brill would get .44 to .58 cc's every 4-6 hours.

Do you want the pic of the syringe?

so I didn't seperate them , I couldn't, when I had the cge all finnished and went in to get Brill, they were snuggling, grooming, and almost asleep... I couldn't do it....

Anyway, I cleaned his tail tip last night, and also put s ome polysporin on it, and did it again this morning, i'll be changing the bedding as often as needed, I already do it daily, but sometimes it can be done twice in a day... boys will be boys i suppose...

Tha tip already looks to be going blackish... is this normal? i've read i think EVERYTHING there is to read on the internet about 'degloving' and it says that's what's to happen... vet said doing everything she'd do, and said you guys are AWESOME, and if you keep up all the GREAT suggestions, she'll be out of a job' LOL!

all of this has bonded Brill and i ALOT. Lastnight he even fell asleep while scritching his ears...
such a sweet boy...

*fingers crossed that he'll be alright*

I'm so glad Brill is still with Toby, keep an eye on them to see if anything sets Toby off.
What mamarat wrote, turns black and then falls off is usually what happens.

Back