UPDATE Mouth breathing/gasping

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Clover has been congested since Friday, I started her on Erythromyacin (sp?) and she is still congested. Last night she started mouth breathing or gasping. So I put some of that Ferret RX stuff under her nose and it at least stopped the gasping. Should I be trying some other medicine or just give the erythro time to work?

No clicking, it just looked like she was choking. She did not panic or run around she just sat there and opened her mouth and wrenced like she was choking.

What shoud I tell the vet I need. He is not really a rat vet, he just gives me the meds I tell him I need in the dose that I need. Clover is about 485 grams, but I can weigh her when I get home. She is still eating and drinking and her eyes and nose are clear.

I have amoxicillian, should I try that?

from ratguide.com

Indications
Useful in systemic infections, urinary tract infections, as well as, skin and skin structure infections.

Not a whole lot better...possibly more effective, but you really need to get baytril and doxy or baytril to add to the amoxi at least.

I went to the vet and got some Baytril, I asked for Lasix but the vet said that it would dehydrate her and that if it was just an infection then she needs all the fluids she can get. So he said if she does not improve by Friday to bring her in and he would try Lasix and give her some fluid as well.

Thank goodness Clover is much better. No more congestion, no gasping and she is just a little sneezy. So we will continue the Baytril/Amoxi combo for the next 7 days and hoepfully she will be all better. Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad she is doing better.

If she does have fluid in her lungs, lasix will help to remove it so she can breath easier.
You just make sure she takes in fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated.

I am glad it is not just my vet. He said that if we was going to give Lasix it would have to be for a heart condition and something else but I cannot really remember what it was (I kind of got distracted by the kittens I was standing next to).

Me too, I love my Clover she truly is my #1 heartrat although I could say that about all of them really. She just has this look that says I love you with all my heart.

Back