UPDATE made choice to put willard to sleep after PT worsened

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattus

UPDATE

I made the heard decision today to have willard PTS after a week and a half of being on his meds for his PT. Willard had a long hard run and his journey in this life is finally over and he will never experience pain ever again :heart: Im going to miss my little muffin bum :cry4: Willard no longer had the motivation to want to eat and he was starting to spit out his water and ensure. He started to make really funny sounds while he was breathing which made me believe it was starting to get more uncomfortable for him. I wanted to put him to sleep now before he could experience anything worse. We spent the whole morning snuggling with him and talking to him before bringing him in and we let his brother say good bye one last time. He went real fast and peaceful, he was already unaware of anything, sleeping through the whole thing, then givin the gas he went right out, so his whole process was so peaceful :) The vet even made me a little clay heart with willards foot prints in it to take home and bake, which I just love.

DSC03375.jpg

untitledfhb.jpg

untitleddfbh.jpg

I'm praying for poor Willard.
I know how frustrating playing tag with vet offices is. The best advice I can give about that is to keep your cool.
I hope your (and Willard's) week gets better.

Doxy is a human antibiotic.... you should be able to get a prescription from your vet and fill it at any pharmacy. I know it's not commonly used anymore, but I would think it would not be impossible to find. :hugs:

Good luck with everything with Willard... I know how scary it is when your babies get sick...
Sending you lots of good healing vibes from down here in OZ :)

im praying for him to get better really quick. he looks so cute and lovely!! and hope that the vet calls u soon that u can get the prescription u need for him!!

He is so adorable! I hope he hangs in there. I get Doxy for my kids made up at my regular pharmacy. They make it up in a liquid for me. It takes them a bit extra time, but they can fill it for me the same day...

Joanne said:
He is so adorable! I hope he hangs in there. I get Doxy for my kids made up at my regular pharmacy. They make it up in a liquid for me. It takes them a bit extra time, but they can fill it for me the same day...

did you need a perscription from the vet?

The vet did not phone me today about the doxy :rant: Im phoning tomorrow if I dont get a call, it cant be hard to phone a pharmacy and ask them if they have it and then fill me a perscription, Willard cant just keep lingering here UGH! :gaah: they frustrate me.. I hate this hospital, no one likes it..

non change, still the same.. but hes lost more weight :sad3:

That's really scary and so so wrong. Someone said something here recently that made me realize you only need your vet to write the prescription, not fill it. I believe once you have the prescription you can phone drug stores and anyone with Doxy can fill it. Hope this is right and can help get your kid help soon. Crappy vet that doesn't realize that these kids have extremely fast systems and can go from a little sick to deathly sick in a day or two, faster than a dog or a cat, especially when it's a respiratory concern. Get the Rx tomorrow and take it where they can fill it if you can. And let your vet know that rats are not cats or dogs and time is of the essence.
Willy is so beautiful and lucky to have a mom who is determined to look after him. It's insane when it's the vet that puts him at risk..

Im feeling very scared, I feel trapped now Im panicing. Im going to try to order tonight as soon as I get off work! vets are useless to me. I am so full of rage, if I loose willard because they dont carry proper medication.. :redhot: :rant: :gaah:

Your vet should be able to give you a perscription for doxycycline (2.5 to5 mg/Ib twice a day for at least 6 weeks) and also for azithromycin (5 - 15 mg/Ib twice a day for 4 - 6 weeks, my vet perscribes 10 mg/Ib). Note 1 Ib = 454.4 grams

Either of those are good to use with baytril (10 mg/Ib, twice a day for at least 6 weeks).
Can you go to the vets and ask for a perscription since they don't have the medication on hand.
Then take it to a pharmacy and have it filled.

SQ said:
Your vet should be able to give you a perscription for doxycycline (2.5 to5 mg/Ib twice a day for at least 6 weeks) and also for azithromycin (5 - 15 mg/Ib twice a day for 4 - 6 weeks, my vet perscribes 10 mg/Ib). Note 1 Ib = 454.4 grams

Either of those are good to use with baytril (10 mg/Ib, twice a day for at least 6 weeks).
Can you go to the vets and ask for a perscription since they don't have the medication on hand.
Then take it to a pharmacy and have it filled.

it's in the update on the first post...

They said no pharmacys carry it around here! to I live in the Boonys!? So they said they cant get any and they are going to get back to me.

Azithromycin is a medication used for babies and young children.
I can not imagine a drug store not having it which is why I mentioned it in case the drug store can't get in doxy immediately.
Drug stores can have meds sent from another drug store if they do not have any in stock.
This can be done in a day or less .... and drug stores, etc do not close on weekends like many vets do.

I think this is worth looking into.
Much better to get the perscription and deal directly with drug stores then to have to get info re drug stores through this frustrating, busy vet.
Also if you get the perscription, perhaps travel to a larger center is possible if that is the only option.

I can understand a pharmacy may not have it on hand, but they should be able to order it. I don't know exactly where you live, but even when I lived in a smaller town in Ontario, if I got a prescription in before noon and they needed to order it, it would be there the next day. Tell your vet to write a prescription. If I were you, I would start communicating by email, because if he tells you it's unavailable in your area again or tries to mislead you in any other way, I would then go to the Ontario College of Veterinarians with the emails and file a complaint. I have been dicked around before and wish I had the proof to complain (not sue, but complain.) I understand no vet can keep all possible drugs in stock, but they should write a prescription when needed, even if it means they lose out on some profit.

If your vet won't write a prescription for you, complaining will not help you right away, so you can also try to ask him for Chlorpalm (which can be taken with Batryl) which is commonly used with cats and dogs, is relatively cheap, and he should have on hand. Ordering meds online can be iffy, especially if you don't know your meds well, and it will take a few days for them to be delivered.

I'm not sure if you can contact them, but Haber's Pharmacy compounds medications for animals of all types - they take vet prescriptions. Your vet probably could fax the prescription to them and they could mail the filled prescription to you. They're located in Toronto, at Bathurst and St. Clair, but they do drop off within the city and could either drop it off to you (if you're within the GTA) or mail it to you possibly.

It's worth a shot to ask.

You can reach them at 416-656-9800

I'll say some prayers for Willard!

Well personally this hospital I think does not give a Sh* about animals, I have never been to a hospital that has had more people hate them then this one. And when I phoned the girl talked to the vet and the vet said that they looked into the pharmacys around here and none have the drug and you know what I think about that? SHES LIEING and doesnt care! Im writing a very personal complaint letter to let them know just how I feel about how they are NOT helping willard.. DO NOT treat small animals if you dont even carry the drug and are not able to write perscriptions.. I feel so offended.. like they literally said they couldnt get me a perscription........... I just dont understand.. I spent so much money there the last 2 weeks trying to get willy better and they dont even go out of their way to help at all..

Back