(update AGAIN)HELP - going to vet tonite want your advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnikki

Okay SO Ruby passed away days ago after much labored breathing, rat lice, and many diff meds trying to clear liquid from her lungs etc. Now her pal Lady- seeming very lonely and depressed - is showing signs of same thing - labored breathing, lethargy not eating properly etc. She is only 2 and a half months old! Could this be rat lice causing a disease or maybe pneumonia ???

What works best for rat lice - Revolution, advantage, frontline or ivermectin??

For laboured breathing or pneumonia what works best?? Doxycycline, clavamax or bronchodilater/albuterol??

PLEASE let me know your thoughts on this - I am very worried for Lady. She is so young. Can rats transmit pneumonia to other rats??>?

I would be very careful giving your rat anything for dogs(the stuff you mentioned is for dogs and cats) for buggers. Unlike a dog, they can lick every part of them- so they WILL eat it!

Altough rats to get depressed, the symptoms you say your rat has are far too much- you're doing the correct thing by taking her to a vet.

Other than that, I wish you luck!.

for buggies ask for Revolution (Frontline is toxic to rats if ingested but Revo is not

for her other issues ask for Baytril (and Doxy or Zithromax or Clavamox)

missnikki said:
Lady has been on baytril and it is not working for her on this front. Which med is for dogs??

Combo's are MUCH more effective than just baytril...we always recommend combo's when the illnes isn't mild.

The medications for buggies are off-label use for rats (meaning that it was created for dogs/cats) etc. They are proven though..Revolutions is preferred and just plain easier, Ivermectin is the 2nd choice as its more labour intensive and you have to be very careful dosing. :D

Antibiotics are more effective than a bronchodilator, but in addition if your rat is having trouble getting air into its lungs, its a good idea ON TOP of the combo of antibiotics.

Apparently she may have pneumonia says doc. Get home with meds and she wont eat or take meds. She had tiny bites of block and small licks of yogurt ..that is all she would eat a half hour ago but she wont even take her meds now. Any ideas for how to get meds in her? I dont have syringes or anything...

missnikki said:
Apparently she may have pneumonia says doc. Get home with meds and she wont eat or take meds. She had tiny bites of block and small licks of yogurt ..that is all she would eat a half hour ago but she wont even take her meds now. Any ideas for how to get meds in her? I dont have syringes or anything...

When mine are sick i toss healthy eating out the door. I will bribe with just about anything to make them eat. I use, ham slices, chicken noodle soup, peas, corn, and anything similar that they would generally go nuts over.

Mine take meds mixed with maple syrup or strawberry nesquick. You can try either of those. I have also found some will not touch them in a syringe but only a spoon or the other way around. If she is refusing her meds you will have to force them. They are not optional for her. I also mixed a bit of water, strawberry nesquick and just a tad bit of salt and use that to keep them hydrated.

If she gets worse some of these in the first post may help you.
When your rats get sick

and dont forget ensure or baby foods, also cereals will help her as well.

Mine live off of ensure so get some of that.

The vet didn't give you syringes? Sometimes when they're really sick, the only way to medicate them is by forcing it with a syringe. You can get 1cc or .5cc syringes from the pharmacy, just ask for them behind the counter.

Was she also treated for lice? It may help her get better (with antibiotics) since lice/mites can weaken a rats immune system making them more susceptible to illness and an ill rat is more likely to get infested by parasites.

Mine like their meds mixed up with a few drops of strawberry qiik and a bit of baby cereal to thicken it.
Squirt meds, a very tiny bit at a time, into the side of her mouth with a needleless syringe.

No calcium within two hours of meds.
She may eat ensure, baby cereal mixed up with soy infany formula or ensure, and lab blocks disolved in water to make mush

If she has fluid in her lungs, she may need lasix.
If she is by herself, give her a soft toy to cuddle with.

What meds is she on?

You can inject it into some banana, or make a banana mush(mixed with maple syrup or a bit of melted dark chocolate). If nothing works, you will have to force it. It's hard, but she needs it.

She is on Lasix, zithromax and Metacam and doc gave her Revolution on her back for lice but said she doesnt think she even has lice anymore. Can i just put the meds right into the syringe if I go to the pharm??

Back