Unsure if something is wrong - Ruby's gone =(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's gone... just 5 minutes ago... I turned him around like my vet told me to to make sure the fluids were not going only on one side of his body to cause complications and.... he started choking.. and finally... he died of respiratory distress... he clenched his little paws than he let go in sign of relief and... died.... I feel so alone even if my boyfriend is there and my 9 other rats.

I'm so sorry Blade, its never easy. :hugs:
RIP Little Ruby, you were a fighter. :heart:

For the future, I don't think it was an inner ear infection and even if it was, the vet should've pounced on that fast and hard, even if they refused to give steroids (which reduces the inflammation inside) then they should've given you baytril at a minimum of 10 mg/kg (5 mg/kg is a low low maintenance type dose) and another very strong penetrating ab like clavamox or chloropalm or even doxycycline.

I am sorry Darkblade...he really was a lovely boy ((hugs))

I hope your heart heals soon. :cuddle:

I'm so very sorry Darkblade.
I think you need to find a better exotic vet, someone more experienced with rats. You are in the same city as Lindsayfawn, maybe you can pm her and ask her who she uses.

I use the same vet as Lindsayfawn from what her rescue website says and it's the one she recommended me. :? Ack, I don't know where to go if not there. Even the emergency vet said they we're the best with exotic around. :sad3:

If that's the only vet you can use then maybe just give them a higher dose if that is the problem? If they are giving you baytril home perhaps members on here could help you dose it properly.....

Did you contact the vet to tell them your little guy passed? They should be aware so they may try something different next time.
Vets learn all the time so keep with that vet and hopefully next time you'll get a better assessment.
Regardless though, my gut feeling is that Ruby was not long for this world anyways so no matter, I don't think even a good exotic vet could have saved him...perhaps delay the inevitable but that is all.

I am very sorry that Ruby died and that he died the way he did.

For the future, you need to find a better rat vet or one who likes rats and is willing to listen, learn, consult with other vets, and research. (Perhaps she is but just didn't in this case.)
Baytril alone would not have been a good antibiotic to treat what she thought was wrong. As Shelagh said, chloramphenicol (as it penetrates tissues like the CNS which other antibiotics can't), or at least another antibiotic such as clavamox paired with the baytril needed to be given for that diagnosis.

As jorats said, Ruby likely would not have recovered because he was so ill, regardless of the vet you saw.
I am very very sorry.

My vet is very nice, interested and willing to learn but... I think she knew that Ruby wasn't gonna recover. She just wanted to try a little something just in case. I don't know. I don't think Lindsayfawn complain on her since she's still with her. I checked everywhere in yellow pages and stuff and it seems there is only 2 exotic vets and the other praises my vet for better knowledge and service. So, I guess I'll just have to stick with her. It's always better than nothing and she is trying... She seems enyways...

DarkBlade said:
My vet is very nice, interested and willing to learn but... I think she knew that Ruby wasn't gonna recover. She just wanted to try a little something just in case. I don't know. I don't think Lindsayfawn complain on her since she's still with her. I checked everywhere in yellow pages and stuff and it seems there is only 2 exotic vets and the other praises my vet for better knowledge and service. So, I guess I'll just have to stick with her. It's always better than nothing and she is trying... She seems enyways...

I don't think you need to change vet personally.

Back