Unfortunate loss of my little Bangers.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrYsGaL

Hey everyone,

Today we lost our beloved Bangers. He was fighting pneumonia and tried his best but he just couldn't hold on any longer.
As much as we knew it was going to happen, it was a shock.
Mash, his brother and cage mate was on top of their house looking down on him when we found Bangers. Since then, his demeanor has changed almost instantly. We took Mash out of his cage and have had him on our bed for hours. He has been hiding between the pillows ( which is completely opposite to his normal behaviour) and just craves cuddles.
My query is....
How can I help him through this grieving period?
I've already noticed that his breathing is becoming more raspy. His appetite hasn't changed nor has his grooming habits.
I understand that a new cage mate could possibly be beneficial but we are not in a position for this at the current moment. I can give him lots of love and attention though and I plan to do so.
I would just like any tips or any advice on how to help my little man and prevent him from a downward spiral.

Thanks guys
FrYs:thankyou:

The good thing is that rats do mourn more quickly. I would expect him to be himself within less than a week. I would say keep doing what you're doing and give so many extra cuddles!

At 20 months I would just give a lot of attention especially if you don't plan on getting more rats. That raspy breathing could be the beginning of a respiratory infection, so watch it carefully. Each rat grieves in their own time so just keep an eye on him and love him

I would fill up his cage with lots of stuff to keep his mind busy. Even stuffed toys seem to help somewhat and lots of attention like others have said. Once, I had an old rat who had lost his buddy and he ended up pretty much living on my couch until his passing.

Thank you to all for the advice.
Unfortunately, Mash passed away one day ago.
He deteriorated so quickly after he lost his brother, even though I gave him all the attention I could.
I feel so lost now... no little rattie friends..

Thanks again to all who helped me previously with my little boys.

20161128_184333.jpg

Back