um...whistling rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimani

A few weeks ago when I was on the computer. I heard a weird whistling noise (Kind of like the one the tv makes when you turn it on).

I assumed that it was just the computer acting up so I ignored it and then eventually forgot about it. About 20 mins ago I heard the noise again. This time though I just happened to be looking and the rat cage (being that its beside the computer) and noticed that Tobi was in the cage starting at me and he was whistling with his nose.

I didn't know that rats could do this. Is this normal? or is he doing it for attention (extra hugs)?

:panic: no idea where I should write this so move away if Its in the wrong area.

Rats are pretty silent when they breathe, so any suspect breathing noises should be viewed as a possible illness.

I agree with Godmother, could be the beginning of a URI (upper respiratory infection) that our rats are very prone to getting.

Like they said, it could be a URI. You would need to get Tobi to the vet for a thorough look over and so they could listen to his lungs. A general antibiotic, such as Baytril, is usually prescribed.

Thats funny, one of my previous rats used to make really strange noises when she had her chronic URI. Sometimes she sounded almost like whistling, or exactly like an owl hooting! She would never do it when it was day time though, or if the lights were on. Used to freak me out quite a bit if I was half asleep and though an owl had broken into my room.

Back