Type of bedding/shavings used for Horses?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arresai

Ok, so, my mother-in-law has horses and uses shavings for their horses stalls. She has offered to give me some for the boys but didn't tell me what kind of wood is used to make these shavings. I've tried calling and asking but she rarely answers the phone. So, I thought I'd pose the question here in the hopes that one of you might now what type of wood is normally used for shavings.
Thanks

Horse bedding is also often a mix of pine/spruce/fir.

Either way, pine, cedar etc should be availded.

The pelleted litter can be safe... they too are often pine or a mix of various woods but the way they are made it removes the harmful phenols. They will still smell like wood but no phenols. I use that kind in the litter boxes of my kitties and bunnies and have used it in a pinch if I ran out of my usual preferred rat litter. I know quite a few people who use them for their rats.

Here's a little blurb about the wood stove pellets which is what they essentially are:
http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/hint_2.html

Now there are wood stove pellets out there used to heat houses that have a few additives that make them burn better, these should be avoided.

We use the horse pellets Littledevils mentions above, for our piggies and bunnies. When we've ran out of yesterday's news for our rat's litter boxes, we've used the pellets in a pinch. Like she said, they are made of pine, but safe because of how they are made.

I would imagine the shavings are probably pine too....and NOT safe for ratties.

Back