Two VERY messy boys..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froxen

Hey everyone -- I have two boys, and I can't get over how messy they are. They go pee and poo everywhere.. in their beds, on their ladders, in their wheel, all over the upper platforms. I never had this problem with my female rats, who were actually very clean and had one corner designated for their "business". Does anyone have any tips? I have a litter box for them in the bottom corner of the cage, but only one of them uses it occasionally. Its gotten to the point where I have to wipe down their platforms multiple times a day due to the mess, and I can only give them kleenex to put in their beds, since any blankets/towels would be soiled instantly.

Have you tried litter training them? Usually you will need more than one litter pan when you start out to put all over the cage. Also instead of just throwing out all the poops, just put them in the litter pan. They should eventually figure it out. Hope that helps somewhat.

The two boys I was ratsitting for someone else (but it now looks like they are staying) were terrible messy little monsters when they were younger. It was like letting two 2 year old children loose. Besides pooping everywhere they loved knocking everything over everything and tearing up all the fleece......but they are slowy getting better as they get older. They are no longer on a 24 hour seek and destroy mission. Unlike my two new baby girls who are very tidy.......

I believe they're at the six month mark now. I was told they were seven weeks old when I bought them, and that was in late September. I'll try putting another litter box on the top floor. They're so lazy, sometimes they'll come out of their bed just to pee on the platform, then go right back to bed! So maybe this new litter box will distract them from that, and they'll get the idea. :)

I wouldn't count on them EVER getting litter trained for pee breaks ... only for poo breaks (and only about 75% to 80% of the time). :lol:

:giggle:
oh boys..... aren't they special!
I've noticed that too when they are younger they're on a 'seek and destroy mission' 24 hrs a day... I've got 7 little monsters at the moment, and litterally minutes after cleaning the FN, they're destroyed it... The oldies are WAY better for not pooping and destrying everything, and can't WAIT until they ALL grow up!
:gaah:

Back