Two rats found in garbage - In Foster with Moon/HH

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praff

Hi everyone!

I am copying my post from goosemoose.com

My name is Ala, and I live in Toronto. On March, 29th I have found two male young rats (I would say about 3-4 months) in the garbage (actually, my dog found them, I wouldn't notice them unless she would warn me that there is Something in the garbage container). There was a cage filled with dead newborn rats plus two alive male rats curling up together in the corner. I took those two guys, but I cannot keep them - firstly, I am allergic to them, and secondly, I have two VERY excited-about-rats dogs.
I work at vet clinic, and for now these guys will be hanging out here till I will find a good home for them.
Basically, I need any ideas of how is usually rat adoption goes, how and where to post the ads about them (don't want snake owners to buy these guys), and etc.
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

And some updates. These two guys were scratching a lot, and we have found some dirt on them looking like a flea dirt. So, they have been deflead on Saturday, March 31st, and for now they are not scratching anymore - looks like whatever parasites they had are gone.
Also, I named them Zorro and Stitch.
Zorro is brindle and white, very active, friendly and curious. Loves attention. He is also very neat and clean - will do all his business in one corner of the cage, and will drag all his food to the opposite corner.
Stitch is beige and white, very shy, but still very friendly. He wouldn't go right away to you, but wouldn't run away at the same time, and also loves being cuddled and rubbed.

And, here are some pictures

375746987c4d.jpg

80e77a29fba6.jpg

It never fails to amaze me at how cruel some people can be, to abandon animals like this, and in such cold weather. I wonder where the poor mother rat(s) are who birthed the babies. Thank goodness your dog found them so that the boys could be rescued. The poor newborns...

Hopefully, someone will step forward to adopt them together; you should insist that they stay together. Does your vet clinic know of any rat-loving clients who may be interested? Kudos to you for taking good care of them.

Your dog showed more compassion than the human who "owned" these poor rats.
Kudos to you for taking them in.
I don't have much advice to offer, but there are lots of rat rescue folks on this forum, whom I hope will be able to guide you on how to find a good home for them.
In the meantime, I'm glad they're safe with you!

That's the problem - our vet clinic does cats and dogs only... But I keep asking people. Unfortunately, most of them don't like rats and react like"ooo, that's... Disgusting!"
But I would say that some dogs and cats are much more disgusting than these babies, anyway, stereotypes do exist, and most people are afraid of rats.
But why should I insist of adopting them out together? I am just curious. Do you think they wouldn't be happy otherwise? I am not experienced with rats, sorry if my question sounds silly.

Hi: well, rats do better, health wise, to live with another of their own species. And given that these two already know each other, it could be more stressful on them to be separated. People who know rats will understand this. I'd hate to see them separated and be raised as solo rats because, no matter how much a person loves their rat, there are some things that people can't provide, like cage cuddling and grooming and just having another of their own in for daily company.

Perhaps you could contact Dr. Munn and his clinic, who also work with many rat lovers, and ask if they could recommend a rat-loving client who might be interested?

No matter who comes forward, ensure that they understand how to look after rats (meds, health issues, etc.) and that they can give some references. Hopefully, some on the group here in your area can help you out.

As for the attitudes from people, yeah, the world still needs more education on how wonderful rats are; it's one slow step at a time there.

You can reach out to Dr. Munn's clinic - at least two of the vets (Dr. Munn and Dr. Luckwaldt) specialize in rats and other exotics. They know most of the responsible rat owners in the city, so I imagine they can get the word out.

You can reach them at the Greenwood Park Animal Hospital, at 416-778-6666. They're all SO nice and very, very, *very* knowledgeable about rats.

I am so glad tht you and your dogs found the boys .... and so very sorry about the babies.
Hope someone is able to help the poor mama :sad3:

Here is some information about rehoming rats: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29519

As for the pair of boys, rats are social and need to live with at least one other rat.
They normally live in large family groups and bond closely to one another.
Lone rats may become depressed, withdrawn, extremely unhappy, stressed, stop eating and/or self harm.

Here is a good video about the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRu ... re=related

Hope you are able to find the boys a wonderful, loving home.
As previously mentioned, Dr Munn would be a good place to start.

It is becoming quite urgent that these boys find a home...the husband is becoming very upset, and she will not be able to keep them at the clinic for much longer as she will be going on Maternity Leave from there soon. Is there no one who wants these incredibly lucky sweet little boys?

Chris K notified me about these ratties, is there any way to get them to Ottawa? We could take them into the rescue and find them a home together.

So Fostering arrangements are being made now. Can you send me your info to get in contact with you about the 2 boys I am chatting with Henry's Haven and a few others about who has room for them :) Yeah!!!!

The last few days have been busy and I haven't been able to update properly, but Ala's hubby should be bringing the boys to me at work on Tuesday. Lynds and I will work on rehoming them through Henry's Haven. I am looking forward to meeting these two cuties!

I will update once I have the cuties in my clutches :)

Back