Two girls left! - Mom+10 Babies in Toronto

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are three weeks old now! They are furry, adorable, and incredibly active. It was like overnight a flip switched, and suddenly they knew how to climb and use the whole cage, haha. They particularly like the hammock that their mom has been ignoring!

I'm thrilled to say all of the male babies are now spoken for, thanks to the awesome readers of this forum! :)
There are still five female babies plus poor momma Paisley looking for homes!!

They've all been named now, because we always name foster babies (we like to have something to call them!) but of course any adopters are free to change their names. All their names start with P after their mum.

Photos!
First, mom Paisley, who is very shy and could really do with some rat-loving people to help bring her out of her shell.
tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o1_1280.jpg

Baby pile in their new tunnel:
tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o3_1280.jpg

Piccolo is the only female hooded, and she is a very confident, outgoing girl:
tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o6_1280.jpg

The two black berk females are the shyest in the litter. Pollyana is a little shy, but very sweet and likes to be handled:
tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o10_1280.jpg

Pansy is the shyest (and one of the smallest!) and she was not at all sure about this photoshoot:
tumblr_n9qz65Z6p91sa54e7o1_1280.jpg

Pepperpot loooves being handled, she would not stop climbing on to my hands while we were trying to take her photo:
tumblr_n9qz65Z6p91sa54e7o3_r1_1280.jpg

Pashmina is super active!! She loved exploring our little set-up, and then she decided to put on a little commercial for Living World:
tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9qz1rPA111sa54e7o8_1280.jpg

They are really lovely! I think Paisley would do best with an experienced rat home, as she has bitten a couple of times (always when frightened, not out of aggression! Plus she has her kiddos to protect, so it's hard to say if that would continue once they were weaned). The kids are all outgoing (even the shyest one will still run up to you when you put your hand in the cage) and would make great family members :)

Pashmina is so adorable! I can't wait to pick up my 3 boys at the end of august :) Hopefully someone comes for the little girls soon!

There are still four females looking for a home from this group! Momma Paisley and three girls are still available. The boys have been separated now and they will be ready to go home in two weeks (one week would be better but with the CNE going on, the shelter is closed until the start of September). It would be great to have homes lined up for everyone by the time they go back to the shelter!

Paisley's nippiness has gone away now that the kids are grown, and she is actually quite sweet. Still a little shy and not entirely comfortable with being picked up, but she likes getting a good scratch and she is easy to handle. This sweet girl has been through so much and I'd love for her to find a really loving home!
tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o3_1280.jpg

Pansy, one of the black berks, is the shyest in the litter. She's a little nervous about people but she is super gentle and she likes to use people as a climbing gym. She would do great in a home that could give her more one-on-one attention and help bring her out of her shell.
tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o6_1280.jpg

Pollyana, the other black berk, is the opposite! She's easily distinguished by lots more white on her belly. She was a little shy when she was younger but she has really come out of her shell and is now very outgoing! She is always one of the first at the cage door, and she is curious about everything. She's easy to handle and very sweet, she's one of my favourites.
tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o9_r1_1280.jpg

And finally there's Piccolo! She is a real character, very outgoing, very active, very curious. She is very much an on-the-go rat. She is easy to handle and loves to climb all over you.
tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_naixgeogxF1sa54e7o7_1280.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has already set up an adoption - this forum has been enormously helpful and we really appreciate it!!
If anyone is interested in these girls, please let me know!

Hi minnieflower -

These guys are technically part of Toronto Animal Services, so you would have to go through them (they're separate from the Humane Society). Basically you would go to the shelter to adopt them, fill out their form, do a short interview with staff to make sure it's a good match for rat and human, and if everything's approved, pay the fee ($10 for a pair) and take them home! It would probably take 20-30 minutes. With these guys, we are lining up adopters beforehand, then you can go to specifically pick up your rats. The adoption still has to be approved but barring something unexpected, they won't be put up for general adoption, just brought back to the shelter on an agreed date to meet their adopters.

These four girls are still looking for homes! They'll be heading back to the shelter next week and it would be wonderful to have families ready and waiting for them.

A few new photos:
Piccolo
tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o4_1280.jpg

Pansy:
tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o1_1280.jpg

And Polly, who is totally my baby now. She loves to just curl up in your hand and relax. She just loves to be in contact with people! She has such a sweet personality (of course they're all teenagers and bouncing off the walls now):
tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o2_1280.jpg

I'm thrilled to say two of the boys got picked up by their adopters yesterday, and the others are ready to go to their homes as well. It's just the three girls and their mom left who need homes! I would especially love for Paisley (the mom) to find a loving, rat-experienced home. She is a sweet girl and she's been through enough without having to go back to the shelter!

As always, if anyone's interested, post here or shoot me an email at [email protected]!

What?! I want MY boys now!! :p

Any chance I can pick them up this friday instead? If Sept 5 is still better, that's totally fine. I SUPPOSE I can hold out a little longer haha

Hi Marissa,

Yes you should be able to pick them up Friday! I just didn't want to do all of the adoptions during the CNE as it is difficult to set up - I set up the one on Monday because the adopter was coming from out of town and had a limited schedule. Let me check with the shelter and get back to you. I'm glad you're excited! They are pretty cute now. Paddy is so outgoing and Percy is super lazy haha.

No worries haha. If this friday works then awesome, but if it's easier for you/the shelter next friday, like I said, totally fine!

I've already got a list of people waiting to come meet the boys once I pick them up lol

Well it's been a busy week! Unfortunately one adoption fell through, but another wonderful person contacted us through our Facebook page and took four girls - including mom!! Paisley, Pansy, Polly and Pashmina were adopted yesterday.

That leaves just two girls from this entire family who haven't found their home yet, which is amazing! Piccolo and Pepperpot are now at the shelter on Exhibition Grounds, waiting to be adopted. Pepperpot is extremely outgoing, always at the front of the cage. She does have a tendency to chew fingers in the cage (never hard, and she's getting better about it) but she loves to run out of the cage on to your arm. Piccolo is a little shyer but really, anyone looks shy next to Pepper. Piccolo is easy to handle, she loves sitting on your shoulder and is quite sweet. They're both good about being handled and really sweet girls.

Piccolo:
tumblr_naxfm681H31sa54e7o5_1280.jpg

Pepperpot (an old photo, I forgot to get a new one of her before dropping her off at the shelter!)
tumblr_n9qz65Z6p91sa54e7o3_r1_1280.jpg

The shelter is totally swamped with rabbits right now as we're dealing with a big rabbit hoarder, so it'd be nice if these girls could be adopted fast and free up the space! Let me know if anyone's interested in taking home this lovely pair!

Thanks again for everyone who has adopted! This forum has been a huge help with this litter!

Just wanted to post once more for these girls with the new thread title - Piccolo and Pashmina (turns out the adopter took Pepperpot, i got my own grey girls mixed up!) are still available for adoption!!

Here's a terrible photo of the two of them getting squished, haha (I was trying to take Piccolo's photo and Pashmina decided to wiggle into my grip for some reason):
tumblr_nbch97uamw1sa54e7o1_1280.jpg

The shelter is completely swamped right now because they're dealing with a rabbit hoarder - they have over 15 rabbits and they are only set up for 6, plus it sounds like there's a hamster litter coming in. It would be so amazing if these two girls could be adopted and free up some space!

Back