Two ganging up against one?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizzely

So Parker and Wilson are brothers from the same litter, about 5 months old now, and then Stark is from a different place and is about 2 weeks younger then them. They lived together for about two months before I got them 2 weeks ago.

They all squabble and everything; I hear squeaks and what not. Humping, posturing, the works. No blood, and everyone seems to be equal for the most part. They sleep together for the most part too. They are all housed in a DCN with lots of nooks and crannies, multiple food bowls and water, etc on different levels.

It seems to mostly happen when they are outside the cage, Parker and Wilson chase after Stark, and will BOTH gang up and wrestle him to the ground. I can't be sure but he really doesn't seem to like it. I give him extra out time by himself and he seems much more content that way.

I just feel bad because he seems to get singled out. Wilson in particular definitely initiates and humps him more and then Parker tags along.

I guess I am just not sure what is normal or if I should intervene somehow?

You can certainly intervene if you don't feel comfortable with it and if it affects Stark. Does he hide more, is he afraid to go near the two others, does he stop eating? If not, then he might not be affected. But still... when you see a bully jump him or about to jump him say no and use your hand to block, like a wall. And when you see a bully about to approach Stark, say NO and if he turns around to leave him alone, give him a really yummy treat. Show him good things happen when he's a good boy.

Luckily he hasn't been affected as far as food, nor does he seem to hide more. I think he just likes to play less. He DOES initiate it sometimes so I know it's not always unwelcome but like last night there was a really loud squeak from Stark. Everyone stopped what they were doing but I just got the feeling he was over it all.

I haven't been interfering only because I wasn't sure if that was going to create more issues. I'll try to try your methods, thank you!

Back