twisted foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milokjd

My poor Banana got his foot stuck on the outside of the cage when he was playing around on it. He was screaming his head off and it scared the heck out of me! He was stuck, and my boyfriend and I had to work to get his foot free. His foot was turned completely backwards. I have never heard a rat scream before, it broke my heart. I can't seem to tell how badly its hurting him, and not sure if I should just see how he is in a little while, or if I should make a vet appt in case it may be broken. He seems to be limping, but doesn't squeak when I touch it. Is there some way to tell the difference between a sprain and a broken bone? Is there anything I can do to make him feel better?

Maybe he's fine, but being a new rat mommy I get worried! Poor Banana :sad3: Its so sad when animals hurt themselves...they can't tell you whats wrong, and they must be so scared!

My advice is to take him to the vet asap.
Though I had a ton a ratties before, I took my numbers down to 4-6 to be a better rat momma. This has never happened to me before,and I hope it doesn't. My sympathies to you and your little boy :'( When an animal screams,it's never pleasant. =( I don't know if there's a way to make it better,but checking with a vet is a good choice. If he's limping, he's most likely in pain,and or something is wrong.

You need to keep an eye on it. At most they will do at a vet even for a break is give you pain meds. So you can get infants ibuprofen and someone can help you dose him. Swelling usually lasts a few days if the limping persist more than that or the foot changes colors then you should take him in. Feet and toe injuries are quite often, if your cages have ramps you can cover them with a tube sock, it will save the little toes :)

I had that happen several times when I had Martin's cages. It really is hard to take that scream but they usually are ok afterwards. There might be a sprain but again, just watch it and let it go through the process of healing.

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on it. He seems to be limping a little this morning, and it looks a little puffy. But not too bad. I think he will be ok. But his screaming really freaked me out! If it doesn't get better in the next few days I'll take him to the vet. For now I'll just spoil him :wink2:

I have a Martins cage too, I hope this doesn't happen again!

I am sure you can lay something on whatever he got his foot stuck in. Did it happen when he was coming out for out time?

Back