Turner's eye and nose? Any ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry's_mum

hey guys, just looking for opinions on what this could be.
It happens about once/twice weekly. I've tried a humidifier, i've tried baytril for a 2 week period with no improvement.
He's being housed with his buddy Hootch, who doesn't have this problem AT ALL, and also in the same room as Brill and Toby, who also have no issues.

I have no history for these 2 guys, they were surrendered to a humane society, and I picked them up from there...

To me it looks more like blood than Porph. and when his episodes come on of what ever this is it last a day or so...

pics...

I'm no expert but this looks like spattered porph from sneezing. One of my first girls, Rataquille, exhibited similarly. Maybe an URI and you'll need to dose with baytril and doxy? Rataquille went on to eventually require sub-q dex and gentamicin injections. Your vet should be able to advise. Let us know how it goes...

dl
:heart:

I wouldn't think blood as it's both his nose and eye so I'd think porphyrin?
Now I don't know if there's anything to this but I posted a question a while ago of how to tell blood from porphyrin viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8698&p=118643#p118643 and joolsratbag said:
"The method I use to tell them apart when unsure is to try to dab a bit up onto a piece of white tissue. Porphyrin is really quite watery, and will stay exactly the same colour after it has dried on the tissue. Blood will seem much thicker, and will oxidise as it dries - to a proper brown colour."

I've had kids that had porphyrin when their cagemates didn't and yet the kid was as healthy as the others. I had one girl that had it literally from birth and lived 20 1/2 mo's with it (one of my 1st kids might have lived longer even if I'd known more then?).
So it is sure a reason to be on alert for a problem, but it can also be an idividual idiosyncrasy (meaning one kid might have an allergy the others don't, or maybe even a non-problematic thing like a human might have a deviated septum that might cause a mild stress?)

I think you said you saw the blood coming out, (dripping from ) his nose right?
Some of that seems like a deep dark red which is not like porph.

yeah, it's def. blood that comes from his nose. It's bright red and when dried on a tissue it goes darker.
The pics aren't the greatest, as he's not a social guy, he's rather timid. But i'll keep trying to get better ones.

I've also watched it actually drip, so it's def. blood....

Poor dude, i'm not too sure what to do at this point, he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or stess about it, and I help clean him up. And as i've said before Hootch isn't affected at all, and either are Toby and Brillo.
:?

I wouldn't ask this except I know that you are looking to look after him, not to find a reason to ignore his problem.
So I'm curious - what individual ongoing non-threathening conditions can they share with humans? Other than allergic reactions? Can they just be individually prone to nosebleeds as some humans are, or skin conditions like eczema, or periodic diarrhea, or even psychological or emotional conditions that 'fixing' won't fix?
We're always looking for a cure when a kid is not normal but surely there is the odd kid with the odd condition that we can't fix and don't need to?

mamarat has a boy like this as well, it just sometimes drips from his nose.
We've discussed that fact that it could be a tumour in the nasals or simply dry air.
But if there are no other symptoms like lethargy, loss of appetite... then I don't think I would make much of it.

Back